Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Link to this post 01 May 11

CentOS is 100% binary compatible with RHEL, but currently the most up-to-date version is 5.6. If you want support for newer hardware (wireless, bluetooth, web-cams, and such) then try Scientific Linux 6. It is also a RHEL clone, but at version 6 (latest and "greatest"). I am using it now, and am quite happy with it. Hardware that didn't work with CentOS 5.x does work now.

As far as I know, CentOS is the same of RedHat. It is just the free version of it.

saqman2060 wrote:

As far as I know, CentOS is the same of RedHat. It is just the free version of it.

No no no no no no no and NO

I've already explain what CentOS is. It's free; it's based on RedHat's source. It is *not* the "free version" of RedHat.

There's a difference, ya know ;)

Link to this post 02 May 11

In functionality terms it can be considered the systems clones.
The difference this in the support.
The support of the Centos is not paid.
The support of the Redhat is paid.

Your both correct. The RedHat guys on the fedora-devel mailing list consider CentOS to be RedHat without the trademarks. BUT, it is not put out by RedHat, so, it can't claim to be the free version of RedHat, although, it is in all respects it is a free version of RedHat. CentOS still hasn't come out with version 6 yet, so, if one wants to experience RedHat 6, the alternative is to use Scientific Linux, which is based on RedHat 6 but is certainly not a clone of RedHat 6. Now, is everyone confused? Or should I continue?

The reason has all after all the Centos is derived from codes source freely distributed by Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board