Linux.com

Learning more...

Link to this post 02 Jun 09

I'm looking for references where I can learn a little more about what makes linux tick, not so much the how to's but a general overview of the ideas/processes behind the OS. Coming from a windows systems administration background when something goes wrong I have a general idea of which direction to head to find the solution, with linux I'm still finding my way.

I find it easier to read from paper, so any books I should be looking into?

Link to this post 02 Jun 09

dveus wrote:

I'm looking for references where I can learn a little more about what makes linux tick, not so much the how to's but a general overview of the ideas/processes behind the OS. Coming from a windows systems administration background when something goes wrong I have a general idea of which direction to head to find the solution, with linux I'm still finding my way.

I find it easier to read from paper, so any books I should be looking into?

O'Reilly usually has great books on Linux - I used this one when I was starting out...
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596000257/

Link to this post 05 Jun 09

I would like to second the recommendation of O'Reilly's "Linux In A Nutshell". Seems like every serious Linux user I know has a copy of this book. It is a great reference.

Link to this post 05 Jun 09

hello,
the "rute" web page is a book online. I've read several Linux User's guides and this is the easiest to understand with one exception. The bash shell script chapters.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board