Linux.com

my cd rom is jammed?

Link to this post 17 May 10

so i just installed the puppy linux 5.0 onto an old old computer. i think i saved the boot up from a live-cd to my hard drive. but everytime i boot up and don't have the live-cd in it doesn't boot puppy. and when i boot with the live-cd in my cd-rom won't open. so can somebody help me. i'll be working on it for all of today and i won't be on until like four from monday-friday.

help
thanks,
Joe

I don't fully understand the issue.

If the issues is that the CD-Rom will not open when you boot for a live cd, then that is standard behavior because the disk is mounted and must be used to continue to operate in the live environment. You will not be able to remove the disk until you end the live session.

well i have encountered another problem, i got the CD-rom to open after saving it to the hard drive. i was then messing around with it put in a cd with music, worked fine, and then opened a new flash drive and plugged it in. the screen went black and nothing was happening. i rebooted and kept asking me to fix "X" by typing in "xorgwizard". so i did all of that tried to get it to work and still nothing happened.

Link to this post 18 May 10

Is puppy installed on the hard drive or is it being run from a live cd/usb?
Was the music CD in and playing from the operating system prior to reboot?
Did you reboot the computer by standard means or did you launch something like ctrl+alt+dlete or ctrl+alt+backspace?

mfillpot wrote:

Is puppy installed on the hard drive or is it being run from a live cd/usb?

i am pretty sure i got the puppy installed onto the hard drive, but when ever i boot up i need the disk

Was the music CD in and playing from the operating system prior to reboot?

i don't understand what your saying

Did you reboot the computer by standard means or did you launch something like ctrl+alt+dlete or ctrl+alt+backspace?

for rebooting i just went to the menu and chose the power-off option

If you need the Puppy disk to boot, you probably don't have it installed, or not installed properly to the hard disk. Once Puppy is installed correctly to the hard disk, there is no need for the CD anymore.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board