Linux.com

NEW to LINUX

Link to this post 28 Aug 10

I am a home recording enthusiest using W-XP :( .

It is very restricting and uses a ton of my much needed resources.

For some yrs now I have heard many PC users who are reluctant to make the jump to a MAC will use LINUX or other OPEN SOURCE OS. It has caught my attention now as I am about to build a PC for recording only.

With so much new tech out there and new equipment, will i be able to create the drivers needed to operate properly for various hardware and software?

Will i be spending more time on LINUX developement or is it pretty easy to grasp the concept. I do not want to be spending needless time on building the tools Ill need to operate my main functions. I realize that there will always be up-keep and development needs, at the same time a smooth running system is the end goal.

Does Linux support MULTI CORE proccessing? RAM capacities above 4GB would be nice to. What can I expect using LINUX when it comes to processing?

I know my way around a PC rather well. However Code is something of a mystyrey to me still.

Maybe someone out there has a recording setup and can help me out.

Thanks so much.

D

Multi-core? Of course ;)

Just check out http://linuxmint.com/

Linux Mint is a good choice for those new to Linux, it comes with all the extras (codecs etc.) one needs for audio and video. If your looking at a recording setup, take a look at Audacity. There might be other recording apps, but that's a good place to start.

BTW - Linux does mutli-core processing, it will handle memory 4GB and above, 64 bit versions with no problem, 32 bit versions using a PAE kernel.

hi im a newbie .....................

Nice thread.. i am newbies to.. but i glad to use linux.
here..i can learn lot of thing. I can build my own distro... what a great.
when i watching hacker (1995) movie.. i was in love with linux. :)

Link to this post 01 Sep 10

Great that you found a home with linux, welcome aboard.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board