Linux.com

Noob Questions.

Link to this post 27 May 11

I am a Linux virgin.

I have an old pc that the hdd died on, it was a windows xp comp. Asus mother board, 3gig op speed and 2 gigs of ram.

I have an old hdd that I wiped and formatted to NTFS and installed in the comp. 40 gig, ide maxtor.

I dl'ed the latest version of Ubuntu available from this site and burned the image to a dvd.

When I put the disk in and start the comp I get a message saying a bootable disk has been found

but then I get a message saying bootmgr missing (or not found I can't remember which exactly).

The hdd is good. I can put it in my windows 7 comp and use it no probs and all the files show up on the dvd. I have tried

burning the disk image a second time with a different program and get the same results.

Do I need to reformat the hdd to fat32 or am I messing up somewhere else?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm pretty sure that if you're getting the bootmgr message, whatever Windows you had on there is overriding the boot from the cd. Have you checked your BIOS settings to make sure that your computer is booting the CD/DVD drive first?

I changed the bios setting to boot from a cd/dvd before I tried to load up the first time. The comp is recognizing that there is a bootable disk.

As for windows settings, unless they are hiding in the bios there wouldn't be any I don't think.

I reformatted the hard drive twice just to be safe.

I changed the bios setting to boot from a cd/dvd before I tried to load up the first time. The comp is recognizing that there is a bootable disk.

As for windows settings, unless they are hiding in the bios there wouldn't be any I don't think.

I reformatted the hard drive twice just to be safe.

Another possibility is that the Ubuntu image you downloaded is corrupted. It happened to me once before also with Ubuntu. Could you try downloading it again and burn another disk? Or maybe try another distro?, I like Mandriva, the Mandriva One version is just one CD you can run live or install to hard disk. very flexible.

Good luck

To truly understand the cause for your error we will need to see the entire error message. Please post the entire error message of a picture of the screen here.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board