Linux.com

Noob Questions.

Link to this post 27 May 11

saqman2060 wrote:

KDE is geared more towards programmers and developers who like stability.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this description of KDE.

marc wrote:

[b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b]
[quote] KDE is geared more towards programmers and developers who like stability.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this description of KDE.[/quote]

I agree with Marc, to me KDE is more like the windows interface and gnome2 seems more like a Mac interface. honestly I want all linux based DEs to move away from replication and focus on something new and different from the competition which is why I like enlightenment and unity.

On the off chance that I got a bad copy of Ubuntu, I grabbed Mandriva to try it.

With the hard drive formatted to ext3 and the image burned to disc it still won't boot.

From looking around the site a faq's and tutorials, I see that the files are showing on the disk properly. That is as files not an iso file.

I have set atapi cd/rom as first boot and disabled all others.

Start up ide scan does detect the disk drive.

On start up with the disk in the drive I now get...

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

Pressing any key gets the same result. When I check the bios, the settings are as I left them.

Even though this comp worked fine until the hard drive crapped out on me, I tried changing the jumper on the disk drive from cable select to master but the results were the same.

Thank you all for your continued patience and attempts to help.

mfillpot wrote:

I agree with Marc, to me KDE is more like the windows interface and gnome2 seems more like a Mac interface. honestly I want all linux based DEs to move away from replication and focus on something new and different from the competition which is why I like enlightenment and unity.

Well, the thing is that in KDE you can *CHANGE* almost everything :) whereas the others don't allow you to (or make it *difficult*)

As for mojokat

How are you burning the iso images?

Regards

Link to this post 28 May 11

marc wrote:

[b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b]
[quote] KDE is geared more towards programmers and developers who like stability.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this description of KDE.[/quote]

I understand that there will be some disagreement. And I do appreciate the corrections. This was my personal analysis of KDE. There are also some gnome based distros that look just like windows, very customizable.

As for mojokat, what program are you using to burn the .iso image?

Link to this post 28 May 11

I have burned the Ubuntu files to a cd instead a dvd, thinking that might be the issue.

No difference.

I replaced the disk drive with a new one to see if that was the issue.

Now when I start the comp, it goes thru it's ide scan and sees the disk drive the same as it always has but I get a very quick notice saying a bootable cdrom has been found which I was not seeing before. However I still get the same masseage saying..

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.
Changing disks or rebooting does not change this. I even started the comp without a disk in the drive and waited for this message and then inserted the disk with no change.

This happens with all the disks I have burned and regardless of jumper settings on the drive.

3dvd's and 1 cd were burned.....burn image to disk,
1 cd was burned as make a bootable cd.
All get the same results as described above.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board