Linux.com

Noob Questions.

Link to this post 27 May 11

The entire message is Bootmgr is missing. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart. If I do that, I still get the same message.
This happens when the hard drive is formatted to ntfs, regardless of whether I try to boot from a dvd or the hard drive.

Currently the hard drive is formatted to ntfs. I used magic iso to extract the disk image directly to the drive and put it back in the other comp.
I set the bios to boot from the hard drive first, the cd rom drive second and it still says the bootmgr is missing.

I have disconnected a second cd/dvd drive so that the comp does not detect it while starting. When I am in the bios it is seeing the hard drive and the disk drive and there is only one hard drive in the comp.

I have tried formatting the hard drive to fat32 and booting from the dvd and also copied the files directly to the hard drive in fat32 format, while making to needed boot sequence changes in the bios each time so that whichever I am trying to boot from is the first choice.

When I start the comp and the hdd is formatted to fat32 I get a message saying please remove disk media and try again. This happen whether I try to boot from the dvd or the hdd.

The bios does not offer me an option to boot from a usb device and I don't have a floppy disk drive on my working computer so those are not an option.

Ok, your computer is trying to boot from the hard drive that does not have an OS on it. You need to get to a boot option menu to select the drive to boot from. This can be accessed by pressing "esc" or del or whatever the says press to get to a boot option screen. Even though you set the bios to boot from a cd/dvd, it still boot from harddrive by default. It happens.

When you burn the .iso to a cd/dvd media make sure that you burn the contents to the media not the .iso files. Burn the iso as an image.

To install linux you need to be using an ext file system, like ext2, ext3, ext4. Do not use NTFS.

Try these steps and tell us what happend.

How would I format the hard drive to an ext file format? I thought I read somewhere that on install Linux would automatically reformat the drive.

Also if the files are already on the drive, shouldn't it boot from that or does it have to be from a disk?

When you install a linux OS you are given the choices of file systems to use. You just pick one and the system does the rest. If you want to format the drive without installing a linux OS then boot your PC with a liveCD and use one of the partition programs to format the drive.

The only way linux can boot your system is if the .iso was installed. If you EXTRACT the file from the .iso image to your drive, your system will not boot, the file from the .iso image must be compiled.

I found a partitioning program to format the drive to ext3.

Should I be "burning the image to disk" or just copying the iso file to the disk. I burned the image to a disk originally and this is what I have been trying to use.

Should I try a different distro? I want ease of use for a noob but not one that is a windows look a like.

Also, what's the diff between gnome and kde versions?

You want to burn the .iso to disk. When you prepare to burn, choose "burn as image" or "burn contents of .iso to disk" options.

For noobs, try, linux mint 10, or PClinuxOS. Great for beginners.

Gnome is designed for lightweight systems and for ease of use. KDE is geared more towards programmers and developers who like stability.

I prefer gnome, xfce and fluxbox. Linux mint and PClinuxOS are gnome based.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board