Linux.com

OpenOffice

Link to this post 21 Apr 11

Have been trying to install openoffice. keep getting error message "temporary failure to access openoffice repository. please try running getopenoffice again later." Have been trying for several days. what other options do i have?:(

What repository are you trying to access? The one from Oracle, or, one of the repos from the particular Linux distribution that you are running? If you are running a Linux distribution, OpenOffice is probably available just by going to the Add/Remove software app in your Administration menu. There is no need to pull it from Oracle. If your using a distro that has switched to the LibreOffice version, you can download that instead, it's the same as OpenOffice.
Since you mention getopenoffice, I may assume your trying to download from Oracle. In that case, you may have to contact Oracle to find out why their repositories are not functioning.
BTW - Yesterday's news said that Oracle is returning OpenOffice to the community. While I don't think they would shut down their servers that fast, that is always a possibility.

If you want to discuss this further, it may help to know what Linux distro you are running and what your repository folder looks like. I can't help you find your repository folder until I know what version of Linux you are running.

You can get it directly from: http://www.openoffice.org/

And you have LibreOffice here: http://www.libreoffice.org/

Is it the getopenoffice in PCLinuxOS that you try to use?

ollerref wrote:

Have been trying to install openoffice. keep getting error message "temporary failure to access openoffice repository. please try running getopenoffice again later." Have been trying for several days. what other options do i have?:(

Install from your distribution's repositories

Link to this post 22 Apr 11

yes it is. we are used to using windows and this is completely greek to us. help please. don't know what a repository is. Is Oracle part of Linux. Sorry, but we are just learning. thank you. can I go to openoffice.org to download? if so, where and how do I do it. have tried this also. please help.

Link to this post 22 Apr 11

very new. what and where are they. are there more than one? just learning and don''t know what any terms mean. have used windows forever and want and need to do something more. need to learn. help please.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board