Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux replacing windows me(technical doubt)

replacing windows me(technical doubt)

Link to this post 18 Jun 09

i have a IBM thinkpad laptop having configuration(windows me) LESS THAN 64Mb ram,10GB hard disk,intel celeron . Recently i purchased wireless internet connection....so i found out that
it needs atleast windows 2000 to install/run . So can you suggest me the correct linux version so that i can download and use it .

Thank you
JOEL.J.KALLUNGAL

You might want to check out DSL (Damned Small Linux). It will run in memory-constrained systems such as yours. Also, try Xubuntu - the version of Ubuntu with the XFCE window manager which is much more memory-efficient than Gnome or KDE.

absolutely, damn small linux, it's good and you can get different versions of it , one you can get is mydml which will install as debian on your hard drive and I'm sure with some help you can get your "wireless" internet up and running. I installed it on a pentium 333 a few weeks ago and it ran fast.

If you want to spend some time thinkering with the laptop you might want to try out ArchLinux. It drops you off after install with a bash terminal, and you are free to install the applications you want from there. Great distro. Got it on my 800mhz Pentium 2 Laptop.

It now starts firefox way faster than the Campus dualcore 2.6ghz computers running Window$ XP

thank u for ur reply.........................as i am new to linux..
can u please guide me how and from where to download DSL(damn small linux).........can i able to boot it from usb.......pls if possible sent me the correct link.......

thank you
joel.jk

adorers wrote:

i have a IBM thinkpad laptop having configuration(windows me) LESS THAN 64Mb ram,10GB hard disk,intel celeron . Recently i purchased wireless internet connection....so i found out that
it needs atleast windows 2000 to install/run . So can you suggest me the correct linux version so that i can download and use it .

Thank you
JOEL.J.KALLUNGAL

Go through this http://linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/406-4mb-laptops

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board