Linux.com

Setting up an Apache web server

Link to this post 30 Jul 09

Hello all, I'm new to the community and have a few questions to ask.

Well first off I'll let you know what I'm trying to accomplish. I would like to set up an Apache web server to run run multiple sites off it. I currently have a domain that is being hosted by godaddy.com but I would like to set up a server so I can start learning how to do all the work myself.

I'm wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner with Linux because I've played around with it here and there so I know most of the basics.
I'm wondering what Distro I should go with. If there are any good beginners guides you could recommend. Is it possible to just drop the domain that I'm using now with godaddy and use my current IP? or should I just continue using the current domain I have now?
Another thing in the future I plan on using this same computer to run as a server, is it possible to have it running as a server as well as a web server and if I do that should I set up the server side first, then the web server?

I'll be setting it up on one of my home desktops that aren't use all hardware is current and up today

Thank you in advance. Any help is very much appreciated and once again thank you very much for any and all replies. I'm ready to learn :silly:

To follow the path: look to the master; follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.

Link to this post 30 Jul 09

I haven't used GoDaddy, but I guess it does have a DNS Administration page where you can set the IP of your servers. Change that to point to the IP where you machine is hosted.

If you are planning to configure a home server for this use, you may need to enable Port Forwarding on your Router(depending on your internet connection type).

As for a distro of choice for server, any distro will suffice, but I would recommend you install something light, without X, Multimedia, etc. My Personal Choice for this is Slackware, but you can even go with Debian, CENTOS or Fedora.

Configuring multiple subsites in your domain is a matter of setting virtualhosts in Apache. This is very wasy to acheive and you will have one example already listed in the configuration file to begin with. Note that you may also need to point the subdomains from the DNS Page to point to your IP. I acheive this by setting one subdomain to point to IP and one * to CNAME to the main subdomain.

Hope this helps.

Link to this post 31 Jul 09

I agree with Sam. You won't really run into any difficulty. You can set your IP address with your registrar (go daddy) to point to your web server. Depending on your ISP policy for IP lease values you might want to explore setting up a static IP with your provider (that's your internet service not go daddy). Everything else you just configure in your virtual hosts.

I found this link to a guy who uses go daddy and set up his Apache server to do something very similar. Hope it helps...

http://palma-seo.com/dedicated-server-pacificrack.com-dns-apache-configuration

Good luck!

Cheers - Kryptikos

Yes this info very useful to me. I'll be getting the computer today to set up so I guess I'll just dive in and see if I swim. I've been doing some reaeach and I found out about and app that basically makes sure your dynamic ip us always current and up to date. That was one of the main things that confused me I wasn't sure when you set up a server if you used your ip from your computer or the one from go daddy.

Is it possible to run a webserver/home server on one box? I

Another thing what do you guys think about ubuntu server?

In my case, I use the connection of my home ISP(BSkyB). It usually doesnot disconnect unless the router is rebooted or someone has been using Torrents for too long. SO the IP remains stable.

However I have a cron running that emails me the present IP to my gmail account every half an hour. Thus I can keep a tap on the changedf IP and change it accordingly in my DNS.

However, i guess using serices like www.no-ip.com will be better in the long run.

Ubuntu Server is good distro for server use as well and should be easier to setup.

Link to this post 01 Aug 09

Using Ubuntu server is fine. It is based on Debian and Debian is rock solid.

Yes, you can use your server for multiple purposes. You can serve up a webserver and use it for whatever other things you'd like (i.e. email server).

Just remember your webserver is public facing so it will be advertised to the world. You need to think about security too...run at a minimum a firewall between your router and your server, or be sure to configure iptables on the server.

Cheers -

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board