Linux.com

stable Linux. Truth or Myth?

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

I hardly ever encounter a situation when the automated dependency resolution doesn't do what is supposed to do. The only problem could be that you do not need the same compile options that your distro has set for any given package therefore the dependencies you'd like are different from the ones you get.

If you really wanna be in control, use something ala gentoo or source-mage ;)

As for the topic, I'd give a try to stable linux distros like Red Hat(CentOS) or Opensuse :) (although they might not be really updated)

Regards

I just wanted to add that generally when using a desktop distro, people don't need something extremely "stable". They simply need something that generally won't crash out of nowhere. You'll see programs crash and maybe the odd bug, but won't have your computer randomly restarted. I would say that Ubuntu, Debian, or Mint are all very user friendly and "stable enough". If you want something very stable, you would want to venture into Redhat or Slackware, but will deal with older software.

Everything MikeEnIke just recommended is Debian based, Debian is a great OS, Ubuntu is based off Debian, LinuxMint is based off Ubuntu from what I understand. I really think you would be happy with Ubuntu, if your worried about stability use their LTS version and you will be fine. Once you try Ubuntu and get used to it, and use the software center to find more useful apps for projects you run into you will fall in love with it.

I'm in the middle of upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10 right now. So grab yourself a cup of Ubuntu (11.10 Lastest and Greatest or 10.10 Long Term Support version). You will love either one.

Link to this post 14 Oct 11

I run both Scientific Linux (a Red Hat clone similar to CentOS) on my workstation, and Ubuntu on my laptop for the past 4 years without any desktop stability issues whatsoever. I wish I could say that Windows has been as reliable...

Link to this post 17 Oct 11

There is not all-around stable OS, not in Mac, Linux, or Windows. From my experiance, ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 are the best. You can also use Arch linux or Slackware that only uses stable software and stable releases.

If you do find a system that works well for you, stick with it.

Link to this post 17 Oct 11

Istimsak,
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Arch a rolling release with a large quantity of beta and dev software?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board