Linux.com

Wanaby Baby

Link to this post 20 May 09

Hi all,

I am a wannaby baby. I am looking to completely strip MS from my old laptop completely including doing a format on the drive so that I can remove all the legacy MS upgade rubbish. And then install Linux onto a blank canvas.

I have been interested in Linux for a while now but recently once I hatched my plan I have been reading a plethera of websites and articles about the infinte variations and combinations of Linus OS and Apps available and I am becoming a little spoilt for choice.

My question therefore is this... Can any of the members of this forum reccommend a good beginners system to install on my laptop to get me going and cut my teeth with?

I am reasonably experienced with PCs, I am a reasonably advanced VBA programmer and dable a little with HTML code, I have built my own PC and have set up a fully encripted wireless LAN at home with networked printers and storage, so I am not a complete muppet. I am however a complete Linux virgin.

As a few pointers to the direction I want to go.. I intend to use the laptop for web/email and watching videos etc during my commute to/from work each day and other basic stuff like that. Maybe a little HTML/PHP coding etc so I can finally do the enhancements to my website that I want to do.

I am keen to not go down the "..looks just like windows.." route if for no other reason that it will confuse my wife and discourage my wife so that she will not nick the laptop off me like she did with my new one.

Any suggestion on what to do or not do would be greatly recieved...

Thanks again

Nixy.

For your laptop, I would start with PCLinuxOS 2009 Live. It runs live from the cd, with an option to install. If it runs well (it will be slower running from the cd), then simply click the Install icon on the desktop.

That will get you started. Just try all the flavors of live cds - you can't go wrong. This will get you started:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

Can any of the members of this forum reccommend a good beginners system to install on my laptop to get me going and cut my teeth with?
=>Ubuntu.:P

Try PCLinuxOS from the above post. :)

Link to this post 21 May 09

I would have thought Ubuntu. mlangdn, why is PCLinux0S better?

Link to this post 21 May 09

I have never used PCLinuxOS, but have had plenty of experience with Ubuntu, and recommend it to everyone I meet who is interested in getting started with Linux.

I guess the reason I would recommend Ubuntu is that it is relatively light-weight, installing from a single CD, but feature-full, with all of the basic tools that you need to survive, and an easy method of adding more after the fact as need arises. The community is immense as well, and usually quite helpful.

j

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board