Linux.com

Which OS have I got!

Link to this post 06 Apr 11

I've just bought an Asus EPC1000 Linux but can't find where it says what it actually is.

I want to download a virus scanner from Avast but there are three versions offered presumably
depending on what OS you have.

Would anyone be able to enlighten me please.

Thanks.

First of all ... hold off on the virus scanner. Linux doesn't get viruses. Secondly, find the terminal program and type in "uname -a" and tell us what it says. It should tell us what kernel you're using so we can identify the distro.

Goineasy9 wrote:

First of all ... hold off on the virus scanner. Linux doesn't get viruses. Secondly, find the terminal program and type in "uname -a" and tell us what it says. It should tell us what kernel you're using so we can identify the distro.

Hi, goineasy9

Whilst I have no wish to appear more stupid than I am would you mind explaining what you mean by terminal programme
please? :)

Sorry to be a bit dim about this but never used this OS before.

Sorry for the delay, but we were all stuck on planes today, trying to get to the Linux Collaboration Summit. Look for an Administration or System menu. The terminal program should be in one of those menus. BTW- When you turn on the computer ... doesn't give you a hint at what you're running? Don't get frustrated ...we'll figure it out with you.

Hi,mate

Thanks for responding.

Nothing appears on start up so when I come out of this I'll check for the terminal programme.

I'm used to digging around in Windows which makes finding system info. easy but this is new to me so I'm learning as I go along - with your help I'm sure I'll get there!

Hope you have a good day.

Link to this post 09 Apr 11

Hi, guys

Still hoping someone can help me with this.

Thanks.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board