Linux.com

Which OS have I got!

Link to this post 09 Apr 11

You should try "uname -a" as goingeasy suggested or you can run "cat /etc/*release*" to get less in-depth information.

Either way, we need to to do as we requested to help you further.

Link to this post 10 Apr 11

I'm afraid I have no idea how to do what you suggest although I'm grateful for your interest.

Perhaps you can spell it out for me?

Thanks.

cicero wrote:

I'm afraid I have no idea how to do what you suggest although I'm grateful for your interest.

Perhaps you can spell it out for me?

Thanks.

What I was referring to is running the previously listed command in a terminal. The two commands will show system and operating system information, unfortunately until we know what distro and window manager you are using we cannot give you step by step instructions. You will need to find the terminal program yourself and run those commands, then paste the output in this thread for us to help further.

Reading you reply it seems to imply that I need to know the answer to the question I'm asking! But maybe that's just my lack of understanding.

I think the solution to my problem is best resolved by doing the obvious thing and asking Asus what they loaded on their notebook in the factory in the first place.

I think that for people like me it's sensible to stick with Microsoft and leave the more esoteric stuff to guys like you.

Thanks for your time and enjoy your day.

Link to this post 11 Apr 11

IT does seem quiet silly that asus would sell you a computer without telling you exactly what operating system is on the computer, when I reviewed the product pages they listed GNU Linux which could be one of more than 400 operating systems.

Navigation and usage can be very simple once you know what you are using, but first we must know the most basic information about the operating system. If you can post a picture of your desktop we will know what window manager you are using and guide you to get the information that you need for this and future questions.

Link to this post 11 Apr 11

Don't give up ... just imagine how much you'll save by not having to buy antivirus programs. Besides, we were all new to Linux at one point and had to ask the same questions. But, we weren't smart enough to use the word esoteric in a sentence. ;-)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board