Linux.com

Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?

Link to this post 15 May 09

So, you can give you decision why you choose linux, not FreeBSD!

FreeBSD wrote:

Primarily because Linux currently has better support from 3rd party vendors than the BSD's (Thinking primarily Flash) Also the BSD license doesn't offer the protection that the GPL does in regards to the software I use becoming a proprietary product. That is more of a ideological reason as a user, but for me it is still important.

So, you primary intention to choose linux is better support for third party vendors and religion views on licenses. Is there are some opinions in os related area?

I choose linux because I own a desktop not a server

Although you can have freebsd as a desktop system, things like the already mentioned (flash) are such a pain to get it working, also, even when it have had some improvement over the last few years, linux still does have better hardware support than freebsd.

To me the question is rather relative, I've used freebsd before in my system but to me linux is best suited for day to day use in a desktop system than freebsd

PCBSD have done some work on that basis (putting BSD in a day to day desktop system out of the box) but even that isn't as confortable as linux, to me at least

If we were talking about server systems then talking about choosing linux over freebsd or viceversa will be a more open disscussion :)

Ubique wrote:

So, you primary intention to choose linux is better support for third party vendors and religion views on licenses. Is there are some opinions in os related area?

Well I would take a more pragmatic stand as far as the license goes. All I have to do to see how well the BSD license has worked is look to BSD and OSX ..... OSX is a very good OS built on top of a very good OS, but few of the improvements have been returned to the community that grew the code to begin with. I would feel cheated as a BSD user/dev. That isn't a religious view as much as a view of whats fair. If someone takes something for free I don't think it's too much to ask that they contribute back to the original project.

For myself as well as a number of others third party apps are important. I love FOSS, but not everything can be done purely with FOSS. Third party applications can fill the gap until FOSS can fill it.

FreeBSD wrote:

The simple answer is that I had heard of Linux before BSD. At the time, I was supporting Unix servers (via Windows boxes), and wanted a more native way to support them. A friend of mine who had started up an ISP a couple of years previous to this time, used Linux throughout, and suggested I give it a try. I did, and it stuck. I hear great things about BSD, though (esp. in terms of stability and security), but now i'm too "rooted" in Linux to change.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board