Linux.com

wont boot or display on monitor

Link to this post 24 May 12

Ok, it has a phoenix award motherboard and is the hp pavilion a6030 series. I found beep codes that are very close to what I'm getting. It says 1 long and 2 short is a video failure problem. I'm just missing the second short beep, I think??? I'm gonna install a video card to see if this resolves the problem. If anybody has any further advice though, I am always happy to hear and learn. :) I will post again to let ya'all know if I had any success.

Link to this post 26 May 12

Ok, graphics card and original ram not working. with ram is 1 looooong beep. without ram is 1 long 1 short. codes don't match anything I'm getting

Link to this post 26 May 12

Thanks GoinEasy9

Link to this post 29 May 12

I saw you asked for Matt's advice on another thread. I guess you still haven't figured it out. Well, I've really don't have anything else to point you to. It's more of a hardware problem than a Linux problem. My advice from this point would be the same as Matt's ... to try to remove and then install ram, video cards or other removable pieces of hardware until you can find the one that is causing the problem. When one of my 4 new sticks of RAM caused the POST to fail, I inserted one at a time into the primary RAM slot and booted one at a time until the offending stick was discovered. In my case, there were no beeps, just the absense of a motherboard POST.

Other things to look at: Make sure there is nothing on the motherboard that could be shorting something. Might take a flashlight and a magnifying glass, but, make sure there's nothing resting on the motherboard that could have been left behind when removing and instralling the RAM. A screw that was dropped that wound up in a hidden place etc.

Reseat graphics card, remove and reseat all connections, look at connections around RAM slots ... could you have pressed too hard or not completely seated the RAM.

Things like this drive me crazy when they happen to me, but, after cursing and throwing a few things, I'll start from scratch (like I was building the computer from scratch) and analytically go over every step rebuilding it until I work it out. Without the hardware in front of me, it's hard to spot what's going wrong.

Link to this post 30 May 12

Thanx. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board