Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware I/O Devices Whats a Good Quality Laptop to Run LINUX?

Whats a Good Quality Laptop to Run LINUX?

Link to this post 26 Aug 10

closest thread to laptops... U_U i know. N00B.. but I NEED it to run linux w/out BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

But I'm looking to get a new laptop for my LINUX programming/ OS. [I will be running Dual OS, so far.]

I don't know what IS a "GOOD" laptop. there are so many mixed reviews so Im looking to the programmers for opinions since I will be doing the same thing, typically, using linux for programming.

Dell? Toshiba? Compaq? Alienware? [I thinks its overpriced, M0Ding is cheaper,] [I stay away from MACs cuz I want to swap parts myself and upgrade hassle free]

SINCE I'm M0dding it myself, I'm getting JUST the basics. So Other than the MOTHERBOARD, what should I fully upgrade that I cant do myself by going into like a best buy and buying the parts myself?

By Good I mean long battery life, Durability, functionality, internal parts wont be wonky...

I'd Appreciate all the help I can get THX!

I have fedora running on a Dell Studio 17 and a Dell XPS 13 flawlessly, but, I'm sure there are many others who have similar experiences with other brands.
There is a running thread on the fedora forum that was started in 2006 called "laptops running fedora" start at the end and work backwards if you want to see what laptop models work on modern day Linux.

Sorry, just noticed the link didn't get included:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=137531

OH SWEET! Thank You for the post!

Link to this post 30 Aug 10

I have been running Ubuntu on a number of different laptops for about 4 years without problems. I have 9.04 on 2 Dell laptops, 1 Inspirion and 1 Lattitude, as well as 10.04 on a Toshiba netbook. You might want to check out www.zareason.com for a company that sells ONLY linux systems (laptops, netbooks, workstations, and servers). They guarantee that the hardware will work without any problems. Nice folks too.

Link to this post 10 Sep 10

I have Linux Mint running on a dell Inspiron 1545 and it's awesome :D the only thing is that the wireless NIC compatibility is a little tricky... But the rest of the hardware rocks!

Link to this post 11 Sep 10

Lenovo (thinkpad serieis) are usually known as very linux friendly....

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board