Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation 64 bit mint 10 won't install

64 bit mint 10 won't install

Link to this post 28 Oct 11

Do you have the same issues with Ubuntu? I would try Kubuntu 11.10 64 bit, that's what I run and it's been flawless on my laptop. My desktop does have issues with it however but that graphics card has issues after every new distribution comes out. 11.04 64 bit kubuntu is running flawlessly on my desktop however.

From what I understand mint is a spin off of ubuntu, but I believe it's possible the exact changes mint has made may be part of your specific problem. It's worth investigating and trying out.

Link to this post 28 Oct 11

Actually I have installed several 64 bit distros on this machine with no problems. I have 4 spare 500 gig HD's that I use for testing other distros. I had Kubuntu installed on another machine, but aspps kept moving around on the task bar, and some apps would be removed. Seems like after a kernel update, there would be problems. I had 8 entries on grub with different kernel versions, so I removed Kubuntu. Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate the feedback.

Link to this post 08 Nov 11

This is why it is recommended to use 32bit systems. The 64bits are not that stable. You can install them on some machines but not all. Check the distros hardware support list to see what is supported.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board