Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation FreeBSD (pfSense) -- Can't boot after install

FreeBSD (pfSense) -- Can't boot after install

Link to this post 16 Nov 10

My original thread is at http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,29849.0.html, but I am trying to see if I can "load-balance" and try to get help from multiple locations through a broader publicity.

Here is the problem:
Computer starts.
Boot menu with "F1 FreeBSD" and a prompt for a shortcut key shows up (you either wait a couple seconds or hit F1).
The next line after the boot prompt is a non-rotating "|" or "\" (it will start out as - and rotate clockwise to said position, then never move again); pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL results in instant reboot.

What's wrong? I have tried many things. :( Any suggestions? Also, I have tried to mount the partition, but Partition Magic from UBCD v5.0.2 (not sure how outdated Partition Magic on that is) ends up giving me an error about unknown filesystem and stuff; pfSense uses a UFS2 filesystem.

Link to this post 16 Nov 10

It sounds like the error message that you are receiving is a kernel panic that is stopping the rotating character and boot cycle. I have not used pfSense and don't know the installation procedures but a kernel panic is the result of installing conflicting drivers or missing kernel files, I would recommend installing psSense in a virtual machine a few time to better understand what it is doing.

You can probably have some luck reading the filesystem from a BSD based livecd, I found a project that is working on one at http://livecd.sourceforge.net/download.php

Link to this post 18 Nov 10

mfillpot wrote:

It sounds like the error message that you are receiving is a kernel panic that is stopping the rotating character and boot cycle. I have not used pfSense and don't know the installation procedures but a kernel panic is the result of installing conflicting drivers or missing kernel files, I would recommend installing psSense in a virtual machine a few time to better understand what it is doing.

You can probably have some luck reading the filesystem from a BSD based livecd, I found a project that is working on one at http://livecd.sourceforge.net/download.php
Going to try the LiveCD once it finishes downloading and I burn it to a CD.

In other news, I noticed the other day (when paying more attention) that there is a gibberish line during the reboot sequence immediately following the pfSense installation:

When I try to fsck using FreeBSD LiveCD v4.6:

[LiveCD] /dev # fsck -f ad0a
ad0: rejecting BSD label: raw partition offset != slice offset
ad0: start 63, end 156301487, size 156301425
ad0c: start 0, end 156301424, size 156301425
ad0: cannot find label (fixlabel: raw partition offset != slice offset)
ad0s1: rejecting BSD label: raw partition offset != slice offset
ad0s1: start 63, end 156301487, size 156301425
ad0s1c: start 0, end 156301424, size 156301425
ad0s1: cannot find label (fixlabel: raw partition offset != slice offset)
Can't open ad0a: Invalid argument
[LiveCD] /dev #

Link to this post 18 Nov 10

It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?

Link to this post 19 Nov 10

mfillpot wrote:

It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?
I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..

Link to this post 19 Nov 10

BlueToast wrote:

[b]mfillpot wrote:[/b]
[quote]It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?
I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..[/quote]Well...

pfSense and I.. I'm like.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-
pfSense must be like.. (although maybe it is also having a super secret kernel panic for retarded reasons and doing the same thing I am)

Quickly read up at http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,29849.msg156495.html#msg156495 and the post that follows. :(

I think pfSense is FreeBSD-only.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board