Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation How to install C plugin for Gedit ?

How to install C plugin for Gedit ?

Link to this post 04 May 12

Hi people,

I am using Ubuntu 11.10.

Can someone tell me how to install the C plugin for Gedit ?

thank you.
Begueradj

Just try out this.....
Open Gedit and click edit > preferences > view > bracket Matching > highlight matching bracket
next edit > preferences > editor > tab width 4 (u can change it)
next edit > preferences > editor > automatic Indentation > enable automatic indentation
and lastly, edit > preferences > syntax highlighting > highlight mode > C++

See here and dnld as ur requirements: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/gedit-plugins/download
and this is here also : ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gedit-plugins/2.15/

To install either use apt-get or synaptic package manager

Thank you very much for your answer Colin.
I did what you said except the last step you mentioned (edit > preferences > syntax highlighting > highlight mode > C++) because my editor does not show Syntax highlighting in the Preferences or elsewhere.

Thank you very much for the link also.
Greetings.
Begueradj

Link to this post 05 May 12

Doing code in C I'd recommend Geanie if you want a very light IDE, if you'll settle for one to make things easy. Otherwise slightly larger but still light is CodeBlocks, which has a constantly updated and maintained windows and linux version. I run it on both my systems (Laptop and Desktop) which are both dual boot systems, Kubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 Home/Pro.

Both can be found in the Ubuntu Software center, Otherwise google it. They truly are great programs.

Link to this post 05 May 12

Thank you for the hints, Richard.
I knew about CodeBlocks, but never I heard about Geany. I just installed this last one: it is too light :)

Regards
Begueradj

Link to this post 07 May 12

Extremely sorry for my late response! which version u r using gedit, while my ver is 2.12.1, where I easily found edit > preferences > syntax highlighting > highlight mode > C. Plz check it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board