Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Installing on several computers/making an image

Installing on several computers/making an image

Link to this post 16 Dec 11

Hi Folks

I'm new here, and not so into the world of linux yet - but i have made some adjustments to the linux system i installed.

Now, I have 20 laptops of the same type, with the same hardware - i want the same configuration on all of them from the laptop i have modified. I'm guessing i need to make an image of the "modified" laptop, but I have no idea on how to do so in linux, and google isn't of much help as I don't really know what to look for.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me with some suggestions or maybe even the perfect solution ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Nick

If they are all the same, you could use something like:

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/name/of/the/image/you/want/to/use

where sdX is the disk you have the system installed in. Once you have the image, on every latop:

dd if=/name/of/the/image/you/want/to/use of=/dev/sdX

You'll have to do this with the hard disk unmounted, for example from a livecd.

Regards

Thanks Marc

But i was thinking more like "installing" on the other laptops so they are "born" with all settings, updates and so forth when done installing.

I can see that some linux iso's are included all updates up to a certain date, I just wanted to add antivirus and user accounts/settings, so that I don't have to create them on every single laptop ;)

Best Wishes

Nick

I can see that some linux iso's are included all updates up to a certain date, I just wanted to add antivirus and user accounts/settings, so that I don't have to create them on every single laptop ;)

For that I'd create a private repository and add the packages you want there

For the configs, you could create a package with all the settings you need

Regards

Link to this post 18 Dec 11

Hi,

Thank you for suggesting Clonezilla, I remember Norton Ghost is a perfect solution for this job, and used it extensively around 7-8 years ago. But I am clueless now about any similar open-source alternatives.

Thank you Nick for raising this question, and thanks to the folks who suggested Clonezilla :)

Link to this post 18 Dec 11

Thanks all of you

I was looking at clonezilla before asking, just thought there where an easier way, but guess thats the way it is with Linux, can't both be free and easy all the time ;)

Like installing a antiviral software was not so easy either (when your not used to the "language" of linux systems.

again thanks and merry christmas everyone.

Nick

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board