Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook

Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook

Link to this post 14 May 09

I've been searching around and only found one person who successfully got Fedora 11 on the Sony P-series notebook...I tried to boot off a live DVD but didn't work.

Anyone know of a Live CD/DVD distro that'll work on it?

I've tried Suse, Fedora, Backtrack, and Knoppix, all no go.

I hadn't even heard of this one until now. I googled it - this is their netbook, right? The one I'm looking at is $900 for specs no better than any of the $400 netbooks, yikes! Anyway, a quick glance gives no reason why it couldn't run linux. It's got an atom processor and and intel graphics card. What specifically is happening when you try and boot? Are you getting any error messages?

Although its not linux you can always try FreeBSD, sometimes it has better chances to at least boot, it doesn't use gui right off the bat like most do. You could also try Debians command line installer.

Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?

Link to this post 15 May 09

Nah it's not a booting issue perse' . I work for Sony, but prefer linux on most things and was just curious. I hook up the USB drive, bios is set properly, it starts to load the disk, but then just stays on a black screen. One of the distro's i tried, just kept flickering, so seemed like a video issue or something.

Which is why I tried so many. I do repairs at a Sony Style store and we are generally rather slow, so I toy around with stuff I probably shouldn't, but general knowlege = fun. =)

Link to this post 15 May 09

atreyu wrote:

Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?

I have not tried a USB Bootable. The only USB drive i currently have is a 16gb i use for personal use and can't wipe it for a little while till my project is done.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board