Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Screen goes to sleep before install

Screen goes to sleep before install

Link to this post 22 Mar 12

Hi all,

I am attempting to install the latest Ubuntu release on a brand new box that does not have an existing OS on it from a CD burnt from the download. The only problem is that I see some of the boot-up screens, then my monitor goes into power save mode and cannot be persuaded to come out of it. The install is doing something because if I press enter the CD spins up again like it's moving on through the process... I just have no idea what it's doing, which is less than ideal.

Anybody know what I can do?

Thanks.

Update: through meddling with the boot menu I managed to access the "GNU GRUB" which gave me three options: install Ubuntu, Try without installing and check the disk. I've tried all three and in all cases the monitor just decides it has no signal and goes to sleep.

Even though it's a brand new computer, looking at the boot options, it doesn't appear that booting from USB is an option.

Great Ape,

I did a quick search on this for you ( future reference: "site:ubuntuforums.org monitor power save mode boot from cd" in google ).

It seems other people are having this issue.

This thread contains some insight: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1463294&page=2

I would go tinker with a few of those solutions and see what you can come up with. If that doesn't resolve the issue, please come back and post what you've tried and as much other info as you can about your setup and I'll do what I can to help you further.

-MM

Link to this post 24 Mar 12

You say this is a new system. Have you configured the BIOS as yet? Have you set the system date+time? What about other BIOS settings? This may be contributory to your Linux installation problems.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board