Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Suggested OS for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT, heavily trimmed down

Suggested OS for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT, heavily trimmed down

Link to this post 31 Oct 11

Would like to turn an ancient laptop into a nice typewriter, without any other applications except office, and without being told to buy a new laptop. Here are the specs:
Compaq Armada 1592 DMT
Pentium 2 200mhz
32 mb RAM
OS and applications must fit on 1.25 gb hard drive
Would like either a Windows shell to run Microsoft Office 97, or a similar office suite
Laptop is fully supported by towers, so all I need is suggestions on which distro to use and which packages to install, plus instructions on stripping extra applications out of the OS to leave just what I want.

I have not seen a laptop with so little RAM is quite a while, you may try using puppy linux, but there is no guarantee that you have enough RAM to run a Gui.

Debian can be installed on older, low RAM systems, although 32mb is pretty small even for that. I run Debian Etch on a 64mb ARM board, and it will work ok on a 32mb one as well.

Look into AntiX, it was made for older computers, Sorry, I'm on the phone and can't copy and paste a link.

Link to this post 02 Nov 11

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the Debian releases and see what happens.

Found this: http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst and now wondering how useful that will be. I've only installed Ubuntu on one computer, and I opted to format the hard drive; the wizard it came with was very useful, but now I'm faced with partitioning this other hard drive and I'm not sure how user-friendly the distros provided on this page will be. Help!

Link to this post 06 Nov 11

You don't have a lot of options with a system with 32mb of ram. I recommend using one of the light distros like puppy linux, archbang, debian, and antiX. Your best option is to install a distro without GUI.

Look at www.distrowatch.com to get more information.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board