Linux.com

Trouble with Ubuntu

Link to this post 17 Feb 11

Yes I could re install windows, but I will probably just stick with Ubuntu. And how do you check a hard drive for errors???:huh: :huh:

Link to this post 17 Feb 11

zeldagamer wrote:

Yes I could re install windows, but I will probably just stick with Ubuntu. And how do you check a hard drive for errors???:huh: :huh:

You can use the ultimate boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) to run the disk checking software from various hard drive manufacturers or use the manufacturer's installation CDs.

Link to this post 19 Feb 11

Alright so about Linux... would it be possible for me to get the drivers I need if I reinstalled Windows 7.???:unsure:

Another thing that made me hopeful. I forgot that when I downloaded my Ubuntu CD, I also (for a reason I am not sure of) downloaded the Kubuntu CD. It is x64 and I put it in my drive and used the F6 option nomodeset and it installed!!!! but when it restarted......the monitor shut off.......and If I had an AMD graphics card I would but sadly I do not..

The linux drivers for NVIDIA's integrated graphics tends to lag, even for the proprietary drivers (that do not come with the bootable CD). Sometimes, its just the combination with the monitor, so try swapping in another monitor. The easiest solution is to just stick any old ATI graphic card in the machine (presuming its not a laptop).

I have similar problem running ubuntu 10.10 on my computer that uses an ATI Radeon Video card. I am able to boo the liveCD, but I install it, my monitor says "no input signal". This was after I install the opensource driver for my video card. When decided not to install the driver, my video worked fine.

It could be a case your video card not properly supported. I have noticed that when the kernel developers write drivers, they write drivers generically that are supposed to work on all types of hardware. If you don't use the generic driver written for your hardware device, then you will be using the default driver accompanying your distro. In your case, your video controller can't use neither. You are able to use the vga driver that allows you to boot to a command prompt.

Try using a distro that used an earlier kernel. You can use ubuntu 9.10 or fedora 9. Check these out and tell use whar happens.

I am so happy! After I installed Kubuntu 10.10 and it still shut off, I looked on another site and saw a place where they told me to hold shift as Linux starts, hit the e key to edit the grub, take some phrase out and put nomodeset and it let me on and my drivers got installed!!!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board