Linux.com

Trouble with Ubuntu

Link to this post 14 Feb 11

Is it possible it is my drivers....just a thought...I know NOTHING about linux or how things work

Link to this post 14 Feb 11

zeldagamer wrote:

Is it possible it is my drivers....just a thought...I know NOTHING about linux or how things work

Because you are able to get into an interactive prompt and have checked the disk for defects that tells us that it is not a kernel panic from corrupt data. It does in fact appear to be a case where their video driver auto-configuration is either choosing the wrong driver or mis-configuring the video output.

Because it is a live CD with limited functionality which does not save any information I do not know of any steps that can be taken to resolve the issue in it's current state. But if you do want to install ubuntu you can do it from the alternate installer disk which does not use gui mode, generally upon installing it chooses different options or you can boot into recovery mode to correct the configuration yourself.

Link to this post 15 Feb 11

So the alternate installer somewhat worked. It actually allowed me to install. However, it gets to the base system install part, it gets to like...6% and says something about a debootstrap warning and that 1ubuntu4_i38.deb was corrupt. I have checked the disk for defects multiple times and each time it came out negative..no defects. Should I still try to re-download the disk again? I was hopeful all my problems were over....:( If I need to can I order an alternate installer, like I can the normal one??If so, does it cost??
When I was installing (trying):( my wqindows system was deleted. so now I will do anything I can to make Ubuntu work.:)

Link to this post 16 Feb 11

Can you please tell my what software you used to confirm the integrity of the installation disk?

Well, my burning software (I think it is called imgburn) said the .iso and my disk were the same. And I used the checker on the Ubuntu alternate installer disk to make sure the .iso was not messed up. why? Did I do something wrong?

I have seen some windows based burning software return success messages when they failed. But since you ran the checker on the disk it should be good. With that being the case the only reason that I can see if left for corrupt files on your disk after installation is if the files were written to bad sections of the hard drive. Can you check your hard drive for corruptions?

As for your issue with wiping windows off of the system, do you have the installation/recovery disks? If you plan to dual boot windows and Linux on your machine you will need to install windows first to avoid potential errors.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board