Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Ubuntu 9.10/WinXP dual boot install

Ubuntu 9.10/WinXP dual boot install

Link to this post 15 May 10

Hi folks..Bit of a Noob at this..loaded ubuntu9.10 on a e-machines with a pent 4 3 gig process Hey it's old I know and found I wanted to run a win platform as well as my wireless equiptment etc is incompatable with the linux it appears..Long story short the setupfiles load but when windows starts the computers shuts off....now I tried with 2 different versions same thing hppened..
so guys..where the hell did I screw it up???:S :blink: :S

pent 4 3 gig process Hey it's old I know
My desktop computer runs fine with a 2.66 GHz Celeron, and some people would still consider that bleeding edge ;)

my wireless equiptment etc is incompatable with the linux it appears..
You should check out Ndiswrapper, which lets you use your wireless drivers for Windows in Linux.

I wanted to run a win platform as well (...)
Long story short the setupfiles load but when windows starts the computers shuts off....now I tried with 2 different versions same thing hppened..
Let me see if I got this straight... You have setup a dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu 9.10, but when you select Windows from the boot menu, it doesn't boot? What version of Windows are you using? Any errors?

When you say 2 different versions, what are you referring to?

Sometimes when a distro installs and sets up grub, it mistakes the recovery partition for the main windows partition, so, the question is, can you get into Ubuntu and give us the output of:

sudo -c "fdisk -l"
and
sudo -c "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst"

If there is no recovery partition, maybe the windows choice in grub is still pointing to the wrong partition, so in either case, the output of those commands will help.

Great suggestion, Goineasy9. I believe Ubuntu 9.10 uses Grub2 by default though, so if the last command doesn't do anything, try this instead:

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This command could also be useful for another purpose. In my experience, windows refuses to boot if it is not on a "master" harddrive. Grub has a workaround for this available (drive mapping), so it could be worth double-checking that the Windows entry at the end of the file contains "drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}".

Thanks for the replies guys..GoinEasy here are the results you asked for...

:~$ sudo -c "fdisk -l"
usage: sudo [-n] -h | -K | -k | -L | -V | -v
usage: sudo -l[l] [-AnS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-U username] [-u username|#uid]
[-g groupname|#gid] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHnPS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
username|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AnS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
username|#uid] file ...
~$ sudo -c "cat/boot/grub/menu.lst"
usage: sudo [-n] -h | -K | -k | -L | -V | -v
usage: sudo -l[l] [-AnS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-U username] [-u username|#uid]
[-g groupname|#gid] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHnPS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
username|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AnS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
username|#uid] file ...

Well I hope this is of some use...
Thanks again...

That ended up just showing instructions for how to use "sudo"...

Try copying and pasting the following directly into the terminal, that should work:

cat /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo "fdisk -l"

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board