Linux.com

usb partitioning

Link to this post 12 Jul 09

I was installing BT4 to a 4g flash drive and some were between defining partitions and setting up the file system i decided that i messed up and that i would clear the key, delete the partitions and do it later. But when i was doing it later, while in fdisk i noticed that my 4g flash drive was now only showing as 2g, any thoughts?

Link to this post 14 Jul 09

it seems that the other part of your 4g flash drive is unallocated, or may be it is formatted on different file-system format, you can reformat your flash drive using gparted. note before formatting your flash make sure you resized the current partition adding the unallocated spaces.

hope it helps.

Link to this post 20 Aug 09

If you want to clear EVERYTHING from your drive, you can run the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourusbdrive
obviously replace yourusbdrive with hdb or sdb, however your version of Linux reads it..

Link to this post 20 Aug 09

That's probably the easiest and best option as per what Cody said. dd is lovely, then just mkfs.fstype /dev/device :>
or fdisk. whatevers better for you.

Link to this post 21 Aug 09

I do believe that if you use fdisk -l /dev/yourusbdrive, it will show you all the partitions on your stick, even the empty spaces.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board