Linux.com

yumError

Link to this post 01 Jun 12

You already answered the question as to why that package won't install, "Yum (Yellow dog Updater, Modified) is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems" your system is debian based, not rpm based. As goingeasy stated, you use the apt-get and aptitute applications to install application on debian based systems. apt-get is functionally the same as yum and it is already installed on your computer.

http://wiki.debian.org/Apt

But when i use the dpkg -i package install package, i often met the dependency problem. I have to one by one download the package i need. You this is so boring?!!!!!!!!!!Is it have a easy way to install package?!!!!!!!!!!

Other, if the debian system can't install yum package, why debian website have a yum package?!!!!!!!!!!

That's actually a very good question. Why does Debian have a yum installer? Well, because some developer believes he can make it work. Unfortunately, he/she hasn't perfected it. Just because a package is there, doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of bugs, and, yum commands in Debian, as well as deb/dpkg/apt commands in Fedora/OpenSuse/Mandriva have a lot of bugs. And, even though alien has been around for a long time, I've personally never heard a good review of it. If you mention it on any Debian based forum, the answer is "Don't use it". If you mention it on a Fedora forum, the answer is, "Don't use it". So, if you're advised not to use it on forums that use either .deb or .rpm packages, the two package types that its suppose to work with, go with the advise, don't use it. Use what works. Use .deb with .deb based distros, and, use .rpm on .rpm based distros.

I was just doing an install to USB flash drive and the partition format for the boot partition in ext4 format never finished and I go this error. I used gpart to format the partition and re-started the install and it went OK....

Thanks for all the responses..... you guys are great....

Finally a Ubuntu distro that I think I can live with..... Ubuntu 12.04 LTS shines bright for the future...

Upgrades takes far to long when installing on a USB Flash Drive.....

But when i use the dpkg -i package install package, i often met the dependency problem. I have to one by one download the package i need. You this is so boring?!!!!!!!!!!Is it have a easy way to install package?!!!!!!!!!!

After listening to so many, I don't want to install yum on my debian system, but I want to know how to resolve the problem above. Thanks everyone, you are kindly. Linux's open source idea is good, but needs a lot of improvements, more humane job.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board