Linux.com

No Posts Yet?

Link to this post 25 May 09

I used Mepis Linux when I first started with Linux many years ago. I still have an active install of 6.5.02 running on one of my boxes on my home network. It still gets security updates and still works fine.
Version 8 is out now, I always keep a copy of their most recent live cd in my kit, and, it is one of the distros I would recommend to Linux newbies (it's very newbie friendly).
I would also like to say that it has one of the most helpful communities in Linux. Their forums are community driven and worth the read. Link here: http://mepislovers.org/forums/index.php .

Link to this post 26 May 09

Mepis is a great distro. And you're correct. It does have a very helpful support community. A few years ago I experimented with Mepis. I was definitely impressed with the helpful folks over at the Mepis forums. :)

Link to this post 31 May 09

In addition to the Forum, there is excellent community participation in other important areas.

• A complete and up-to-date User's Manual is available off the desktop

• There is a very active Community website

• A Packaging Team makes upgrades and new software available to keep applications on the cutting edge over the stable Debian base

Have to admit: I am a great fan of this distro for everyday work (I run my whole office on it) and play!

Link to this post 02 Jun 09

Yeah, Jerry Bond WOULD be enthusiastic about SimplyMEPIS - he is one of the primary community contributors when it comes to coordinating the documentation, and he is an outstanding example of what makes the MEPIS community work so well!

I participate there, too, but not with anywhere near the regularity or responsibility that Jerry so freely gives.

Every SimplyMEPIS release is excellent. It is rare when even a test build fails to run well. Personally, I have been a MEPIS user dating back to May 2003 when I found the first public release that Warren Woodford made available.

I am also a great fan of one of the lightweight community versions, antiX, and I try to help test and promote both SimplyMEPIS and antiX. If you need a lightweight distribution with good hardware detection and configuration, antiX is awesome. SimplyMEPIS is great in a similar way as a simple, very stable desktop system. These are two of my favorite distributions.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board