Linux.com

Internet through Motorola i335 Boost?

Link to this post 23 Oct 09

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

Yes, apparently all of those things are the same here (I'm now using Linux 7 Mint).

Re: Connect speed
It takes me about 15 or 20 min's. to D/L a 1MB file. Is that normal for a cell phone tether?

Your download coudl be slow because of a bad connection in your area or because of the baud rate that you set, have you contacted your provider to ask about the maximum baud rate as I recommended?

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

Why does it say never in the Network Connections box beside my Boost Mobile?

My guess is that it is referencing the auto-connect option.

Link to this post 23 Oct 09

LOL Lee....it's not a bug, it's a feature. Says the same on my laptop when I look at eth0, even though I use eth0 every day. Wow, just checked again, and it actually reads 7 days ago on my Broadband connection, and my wifi also has info listed on some sites I have used and says never on other sites that I know I have also used.
I wouldn't worry about it, this is the first time I saw anything but "never" myself. Something must trigger it to store last used, but what it is I don't know. Eth0 still say I never used it, and I am using it right now.

Never tried a download with broadband, just use it for internet access. I figure if igoogle appears fast, I'm doing ok speedwise.

Does it work faster going through network connections than it did through wvdial? I'm still blow away by my discovery of this app. It makes switching network connections a whole lot easier. Kudo's to the Gnome guys.

Link to this post 24 Oct 09

Does it work faster going through network connections than it did through wvdial?

Yes. Standard network speed is normal.

I figure if igoogle appears fast, I'm doing ok speedwise.

Nothing appears fast.

...have you contacted your provider to ask about the maximum baud rate as I recommended?

Guess I have to bite the bullet and actually call somebody. !blarrrgh! BTW, it is supposedly a 3G network (if that makes a difference).

Link to this post 24 Oct 09

3g should be a fast(er) connection, I guess your going to have to call someone. Just tell them your trying to tether your computer with the broadband connection, then ask your questions. Don't mention Linux until your get some answers first. It's amazing how fast some providers like to cut you off when you tell them your trying to connect using Linux.
BTW, I read that Windows 7 has a Network Connections menu choice also, so they might not even get into the OS questions with you.

Tom

Link to this post 04 Nov 09

Did I mention? You guys are the bomb. It works at least slowly. I am enduring the garbage on the screen for now. I have since installed MEPIS on one of my machines and it works there, too. (I am installing wvdial manually from a thumb drive on these systems.) Thank you very much for all your help.

BTW, I found "Linux for Dummies" at the local library and I'm studying it as well. I'm finding lots of neat stuff there. It came with a DVD ROM of Fedora Moonshine (that's old). It trashed my GRUB menu for Ubuntu, so maybe I'll fix it later.

Meanwhile, I can't find my manual for the Boost phone so I still haven't called tech support...

ex TI99 Guru Lee

Link to this post 04 Nov 09

BTW, the more I use the tethered laptop, in the different places i work, I'm noticing that the speed of the connection has a relation to the number of bars visible on the cell phone. It makes sense, but I never thought of that when I started. When I use the broadband connection directly on the Palm Treo, I never really noticed to much of a difference, Probably because the apps on the phone are minimized and the amount of data that has to be received is a fraction of the amount of data that it takes to fill up the firefox screen when I have the laptop tethered to it (Verizon Palm Treo 700p uses a browser called Blazer and I've noticed a line at the bottom of the screen that says that google is reformatting the screen for mobile). I know this is a big Duh, but it's the first time I actually put 2 + 2 together. LOL....forever a noob.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board