Linux.com

Internet through Motorola i335 Boost?

Link to this post 14 Oct 09

To setup your computer to use your phone internet connection first you must tether to your phone using USB or Bluetooth, then pass the commands to your OS to start a PPP connection using your tethered device.

I would advise searching google for "Motorola i335 linux tether wvdial" or use whatever your phone type is.

Link to this post 15 Oct 09

Some folks know how to google better than I. When I googled "Palm Treo 700p linux tether wvdial" I came up with some very interesting results, one of which was a sample wvdial.conf containing info I haven't seen before, thanks mfillpot.

For those interested in attaching to a EVDO network (various providers) with Linux and a EVDO card or a usb enabled phone, this thread has a wealth of information, Discussion started 1/07 and ended 8/08, but there was a range of phones and providers discussed. Thread came from the ubuntu.org archives.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-343989.html

I searched for "boost" through the thread and came up empty, but isn't boost a new name? Can't think of what it's predecessor was, if you know, maybe you can search the thread using that old company name.

Link to this post 15 Oct 09

I am glad that I can help. It may be a coincidence, but I was helping a windows convertee today on ubuntu and was able to use the same search results to setup his EVDO card and tethered phone (actually the EVDO card was auto-detected and auto-configured).

Link to this post 17 Oct 09

I think that ubuntuforums link is going to do the trick. Turns out I had wvdial installed in (old) Ubuntu already, so I did the settings and configs according to that link and it seems to be working. I'll know for sure later this evening. B)
Thank you to all who responded.

Lee

P.S. Boost is owned by Sprint.

Link to this post 19 Oct 09

Well, I got on, but it's slooooow and I get the following:

Contents of boost,bak:
# This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.3.18.
#
#
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/Boost"
debug
/dev/ttyACM0
defaultroute
noipdefault
user "{phone number removed by mod}@sprintpcs.com"

ipparam Boost

sudo pppd
~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~~ÔøΩ}#ÔøΩ!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ÔøΩRÔøΩÔøΩ}'}"}(}"VÔøΩ~

Does all this gibberish mean I have something set wrong in the ppp configuration?

Contents of wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATX0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
Password = sprint
Username = {phone number removed by mod}@sprintpcs.com
Stupid Mode = on

Auto Reconnect = on

Carrier Check = no

sudo wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATX0
ATX0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!E} }8}!}$}%,}"}&} } } } }%}&}28#}6}'}"}(}":1~
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Oct 18 14:26:33 2009
--> Pid of pppd: 4613
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: xÔøΩÔøΩ[08][08]ÔøΩÔøΩ[08]
--> local IP address 10.23.6.2
--> remote IP address 10.23.6.1
--> primary DNS address 170.206.225.21
--> secondary DNS address 170.206.225.22

And of course when I logout:

^CCaught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Terminating on signal 15
--> Connect time 50.4 minutes.
--> Disconnecting at Sun Oct 18 15:17:00 2009

I'd rather it be all clean on the screen! Is that some AT command?
What does that 'debug' instruction in ppp configuration mean?

Link to this post 19 Oct 09

It is good to see that it worked. The reason for the slow response was your baud rate which is equal to 460.80 Kbps. You may want to contact you carrier and ask what the maximum baud rate for your device is.

The debug is telling it to show the output to track errors, that is the reason for the odd output, but the output is not bad since you can connect.

As for a clean display, depending on your chosen GUI you may want to check on gui based apps that you can use instead of wvdial, those should help to make your screen less cluttered.

Also I removed the username entries from your configuration files, you unintentionally posted your cell phone number to the world.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board