Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux System Administration Network Management Transition from Windows-based network to Linux-bas

Transition from Windows-based network to Linux-bas

Link to this post 17 Feb 11

You're quite lucky Joe,
Migration shouldn't be a problem for you, you're not using outlook features specifically created for Exchange. Easy migration for you (at least for email functionalities)

Link to this post 17 Feb 11

larynx wrote:
I am not using an Exchange server, the clients are using Outlook to connect to Google Apps account. They mainly use email and the calendars so it shouldn't be an issue to transfer to Thunderbird.

What do you mean a virtual terminal solution? Will it run on the server and be accessed remotely by the clients?[/quote]

Your current use of google apps will definitely make the transition easier.

By Virtual Terminal Solution I am referring to the capability to launch and application on a remote server that is streamed to your desktops by selecting a seemingly local applications on your computer. An example would be to see a quickbooks icon on your computer, when you launch it it would call out through lets say a citrix application to your citrix server telling the server to launch the application but display the windows and all output on your local computer. By using this solution you can roll out OS specific or mission critical applications to all users through a secure channel from a single system to users on all operating systems. By using citrix or another virtual terminal framework the users only see the windows from the specific application rather than having complete access to the desktop and all applications on the remote server.

Link to this post 18 Feb 11

By Virtual Terminal Solution I am referring to the capability to launch and application on a remote server that is streamed to your desktops by selecting a seemingly local applications on your computer. An example would be to see a quickbooks icon on your computer, when you launch it it would call out through lets say a citrix application to your citrix server telling the server to launch the application but display the windows and all output on your local computer. By using this solution you can roll out OS specific or mission critical applications to all users through a secure channel from a single system to users on all operating systems. By using citrix or another virtual terminal framework the users only see the windows from the specific application rather than having complete access to the desktop and all applications on the remote server.

What are good applications for that? Are there any free (or cheap) ones? Would I be able to have several clients running remote applications (perhaps the same application) simultaneously?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board