Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Networking Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?

Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?

Link to this post 24 Oct 09

Okay, I can go through the DSL modem with Cat5 cable, but my sister uses that port normally. I had a machine with Ubuntu 7.? which could use the USB hookup, but I don't have that hard drive any longer so the config is gone. I didn't configure it originally, so I have no idea how. Help?

noob Lee

Link to this post 24 Oct 09

Lee
Why not buy a router so you can both plug into the same port? I have one similar to the one in the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1030252&CatId=198
There might even be cheaper ones there, didn't have time to shop around.

Tom

Link to this post 31 Oct 09

"Why not buy a router so you can both plug into the same port?"

Because this unit worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 7.04 (someone else installed) until I upgraded it to 8.04!
I do have a router, but it is in use somewhere else.
Also, what's the point of having a 'free' and 'open' OS if none of the hardware I have works with it? Am I going to have to learn some programming language and spend hours trying to dig up the tech data on the hardware to make it work? Bleah!
And I repeat, it worked with that old version!

Link to this post 31 Oct 09

Sorry, I never used the usb setup before, the router was just an idea. Since Linux always set up the ethernet port automatically, I never really experimented with it. Now you've got me curious, I'll try hooking up the laptop to it as soon as I get a chance. I'll let you know how I make out.

Link to this post 13 Dec 09

Goineasy9 says:

I'll try hooking up the laptop to it as soon as I get a chance.

Did you ever try that, Goineasy9?

~Lee

Link to this post 13 Dec 09

Sorry Lee,

My experimenting took a back seat to life the last few weeks. Jury duty included. It's still on my list though.

Tom

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board