Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Networking Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?

Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?

Link to this post 23 Dec 09

I just checked. Winduhs says Vendor ID is 067c and Product ID is e240 if that helps.
That checks in as an Efficient Networks modem and apparently the 4200 and 5200 have the same chipset.
I can find nothing on Efficient except that it was bought by Siemens.

~Lee

Link to this post 25 Dec 09

My reference to the usbnet modules were actually referring to the fact that they should already be installed on your system you only need to active them. All you need to do is go into the terminal and tyse "sudo modprobe {minidriver name}" so to use activate the rndis module you only need to type "sudo modprobe rndis".

Go through the minidrviers listed on the website (http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/), and let me know if any of them make the usb device appear for your system wither through a network manager GUI or in the output of "ifconfig -a".

Link to this post 26 Dec 09

Right!
rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to:

lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’:
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’
make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
make: *** [default] Error 2

Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.)

I am not having fun, yet...

BTW, what is a vboxnet0?
It shows up in Network Tools as:

Network device: vboxnet0
Hardware address: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
Multicast: Enabled
MTU: 1500
Link speed: not available
State: Inactive
Transmitted packets: 0
Transmission errors: 0
Received packets: 0
Reception errors: 0
Collisions: 0

n.p.
I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what:

[ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg]
HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys"
HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys"
HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS"
HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB"
HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04
HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"

Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo?

~Lee

Link to this post 26 Dec 09

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

Right!
rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to:

lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’:
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’
/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’
make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
make: *** [default] Error 2

Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.)

No, it appears that there are some broken references in the source code that you downloaded, you might want to try an older version of the drivers. I am quite surprised that mint doesn't have the drivers installed, but each distro does their own thing, I am looking now and I know that slackware has those drivers included in their default kernel.

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

I am not having fun, yet...

BTW, what is a vboxnet0?

vboxnet is a virtual bridged adapter that is created by virtualbox for virtualbox virtual networks and hosts.

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what:

[ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg]
HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys"
HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys"
HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS"
HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB"
HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04
HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"

Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo?

~Lee

As far as I know the only windows drivers you can install are wifi drivers through ndiswrapper, but it couldn't hurt if you attempt to install it using ndiswrapper and/or search the web for potential instructions.

Link to this post 03 Mar 10

Hi , there has been reports on slax forum
that using windows (*.inf) driver in combination with ndiswrapper may be successful

http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=927
(this may be pre-packaged for speedstream 5200 not sure)

please confirm && feedback needed.

Are you positive ubuntu 7.10 or 7.04 were operational using Usb conection?
you may easily confirm that too ;)
they have 2.6.20 and 2.6.22 kernels (and fairly new nddiswrapper-s 1.38 and 1.45 )
Live CD is stiill obtainable HERE:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board