Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions openSUSE "CPU Soft lockup" kernel panic message

"CPU Soft lockup" kernel panic message

Link to this post 01 Nov 11

Hello to all who read!
Whenever I try to boot up OpenSUSE, I get a kernel panic message, while it is loading drivers, saying "CPU## soft lock-up bug". I am using the "Default" kernel (Not the "Desktop" kernel), and this error happens with GRUB 0.97 and 1.99.
Thanks to all responses.

Link to this post 19 Nov 12

Hi Spartacus.

Just to clarify, are you using GRUB 0.97 and not GRUB 2.0? also, are you using kernel 1.99 and not kernel 3? I ask because the current SUSE release has both, and any OS using GRUB .97 and kernel 1.99 is going to be VERY old. If you have an old OS, this could potentially cause tons of problems. Specifically if you try and apply current drivers to old kernels, it has a high risk of giving you kernel panics ASAP. So that might be issue #1. If so, upgrading to a current OS would probably solve the problem.

Also, have you tried making a fresh install of SUSE? (I'm really sorry if this is sounding like an interrogation, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's going on.) Maybe the kernel was just flat-out compiled wrong during the install and needs to be done the right way. This is probably not the problem, but the possibility still exists.

Lastly, are your drivers made specifically for Linux, or was there a bit of hacking involved? :) If there was hacking done, it might just be bad code that kills the kernel before it can even finish booting up. Let me know if this helps, I'd be glad to help you the best I can.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board