• Last Logged In: 15 Jun 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • pjpdev
    RE: How do I install Nvidia drivers
    Nevermind, problem solved. I tried this guide - [url]http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752[/url] and it worked 100%.
    Link to this post 14 Feb 10

Nevermind, problem solved. I tried this guide - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752 and it worked 100%.

• pjpdev
    Managed to get the GUI up and running again, but still no luck with drivers. Here's the output of "lspci | grep VGA" [code] 00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (rev a2) [/code] My system is up-to-date and I'm currently using kernel version 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686. Don't know where to go from here.

Managed to get the GUI up and running again, but still no luck with drivers.

Here's the output of "lspci | grep VGA"

00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (rev a2)

My system is up-to-date and I'm currently using kernel version 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686. Don't know where to go from here.

• pjpdev
    [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]Installing the Nvidia driver from their source might work well on some distros, but, it is the easiest way to bork graphics in Fedora. Especially since Fedora now ties the Nouveau driver so tightly into it's kernel.[/quote] I agree with you... I just managed to make it all go up in flames after installing drivers from RPMFusion. :angry:

Goineasy9 wrote:

Installing the Nvidia driver from their source might work well on some distros, but, it is the easiest way to bork graphics in Fedora. Especially since Fedora now ties the Nouveau driver so tightly into it's kernel.

I agree with you... I just managed to make it all go up in flames after installing drivers from RPMFusion. :angry:

• pjpdev
    RE: Fedora 10 and SyncMaster 2033
    Thanks for the advice. I should've thought about the driver issue since this is a new monitor and Fedora 10 is dead long ago. But anyway, I've decided to download the Fedora 12 LiveCD and installed it and it works out the box. No need for configuration. So once again, thanks for the help. PS: The SyncMaster 2033 remains an awesome monitor!
    Link to this post 08 Feb 10

Thanks for the advice. I should've thought about the driver issue since this is a new monitor and Fedora 10 is dead long ago. But anyway, I've decided to download the Fedora 12 LiveCD and installed it and it works out the box. No need for configuration.

So once again, thanks for the help.

PS: The SyncMaster 2033 remains an awesome monitor!

• pjpdev
    Fedora 10 and SyncMaster 2033
    I've got a rather strange problem. Fedora 10 doesn't want to work with my Samsung SyncMaster 2033... And I don't have the feintest idea why. I never had this problem with my old CRT monitor (on the same PC). Basically what happens is when I try to start the graphical install the screen goes blank, and I can't even open my monitor's settings menu... Like it's on standby, but it's not. I tried different settings, but to no avail. And resorted to a text-based install, so now I've got it installed. Next problem... It boots into text mode, but that's not the real issue. Whenever I try to start up the X server the same thing happens as with the installation, blank screen. Could anyone please help me out? P.S. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to go and download Fedora 12.
    Link to this post 08 Feb 10

I've got a rather strange problem. Fedora 10 doesn't want to work with my Samsung SyncMaster 2033... And I don't have the feintest idea why. I never had this problem with my old CRT monitor (on the same PC).

Basically what happens is when I try to start the graphical install the screen goes blank, and I can't even open my monitor's settings menu... Like it's on standby, but it's not. I tried different settings, but to no avail. And resorted to a text-based install, so now I've got it installed.

Next problem... It boots into text mode, but that's not the real issue. Whenever I try to start up the X server the same thing happens as with the installation, blank screen.

Could anyone please help me out?

P.S. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to go and download Fedora 12.

• pjpdev
    RE: Quake 4 Sound Problems
    I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, don't know what codecs Quake 4 might need for the speech.
    Link to this post 24 Jan 10

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, don't know what codecs Quake 4 might need for the speech.

• pjpdev
    Quake 4 Sound Problems
    Hi, I've recently downloaded the Linux binaries for Quake 4 and installed it. Everything runs fine... graphics is working, music and sound effects too. But I can't get the speech to work, whenever a character talks I hear one beep and the character's lips move in utter silence. Could someone please help me out? Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 24 Jan 10

Hi,

I've recently downloaded the Linux binaries for Quake 4 and installed it. Everything runs fine... graphics is working, music and sound effects too. But I can't get the speech to work, whenever a character talks I hear one beep and the character's lips move in utter silence. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

• pjpdev
    RE: Linux Game Development
    Thanks for the recommendations. Don't know why I forgot about Slackware, so it'll end up on the list. I'll also find some physics engines and add them to the site. "Recommended Books" sound like a good idea, I bet there are a bunch of good books going around. Currently I'm looking at a few Open Source MMORPG engines to do an article or two on... And prolly use one of 'em for my own little idea :P
    Link to this post 23 Jan 10

Thanks for the recommendations. Don't know why I forgot about Slackware, so it'll end up on the list.

I'll also find some physics engines and add them to the site. "Recommended Books" sound like a good idea, I bet there are a bunch of good books going around.

Currently I'm looking at a few Open Source MMORPG engines to do an article or two on... And prolly use one of 'em for my own little idea :P

• pjpdev
    RE: What distribution will be the best for me?
    Ubuntu (as well as Kubuntu) is a good distro to start with. It's easy to set up and to use. And if you're not completely sure about it you can boot it directly from the CD/DVD and use it without making any changes to your system. Hope this helps... Later
    Link to this post 21 Jan 10

Ubuntu (as well as Kubuntu) is a good distro to start with. It's easy to set up and to use. And if you're not completely sure about it you can boot it directly from the CD/DVD and use it without making any changes to your system. Hope this helps...

Later

• pjpdev
    Linux Game Development
    I enjoy developing games, and would enjoy it more if more people would take interest in developing games for Linux. Yeah sure, I know there are quite a few games for Linux, but most of them are Quake3 Arena clones... made with the Quake3 Arena engine. I few months back I launched a community site for Linux game devs and the response was horrible, in the matter of +/- 5 months time the site managed to get 10 registered members. And I did my bit to "market" it. The point is - It doesn't look like people are taking any interest in this at all. I'm not a pro in Linux game development, but not even the experienced folks took a look at it to help add more content (is this some kind of dark art???). Currently I'm seriously considering to shut the site down, which I tried to get up and running to benefit the Linux community. Sorry for the rant, but Linux needs more high quality games... The kind that'll get more people to switch over to Linux, and for many others like myself - stop dual-booting.
    Link to this post 21 Jan 10

I enjoy developing games, and would enjoy it more if more people would take interest in developing games for Linux. Yeah sure, I know there are quite a few games for Linux, but most of them are Quake3 Arena clones... made with the Quake3 Arena engine. I few months back I launched a community site for Linux game devs and the response was horrible, in the matter of +/- 5 months time the site managed to get 10 registered members. And I did my bit to "market" it.

The point is - It doesn't look like people are taking any interest in this at all. I'm not a pro in Linux game development, but not even the experienced folks took a look at it to help add more content (is this some kind of dark art???). Currently I'm seriously considering to shut the site down, which I tried to get up and running to benefit the Linux community.

Sorry for the rant, but Linux needs more high quality games... The kind that'll get more people to switch over to Linux, and for many others like myself - stop dual-booting.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board