• Last Logged In: 04 Jul 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Lee.Wilkerson
    RE: Sony Vaio Wireless Keyboard Driver?
    After more extensive searching and experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that the receiver is being recognized by Linux and Windows. The problem I have now is (I think) I need software that translates the input data into commands and redirects them accordingly. ~/Lee
    Link to this post 16 Apr 10

After more extensive searching and experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that the receiver is being recognized by Linux and Windows. The problem I have now is (I think) I need software that translates the input data into commands and redirects them accordingly.

~/Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    Actually, no. Not yet, but I think I can get it done now with all of the data I gleaned from those two places and the links. I trashed a 1/2 TB HDD yesterday, so I am currently trying to recover all of the data which is(was) stored therein. ~/Lee
    Link to this post 28 Feb 10

Actually, no. Not yet, but I think I can get it done now with all of the data I gleaned from those two places and the links.
    I trashed a 1/2 TB HDD yesterday, so I am currently trying to recover all of the data which is(was) stored therein.

~/Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    Thank you very much, Adam. I went to those two sites and D/L'ed stuff for about an hour. :laugh: I'm happier than a pig in S***! ~/Lee
    Link to this post 27 Feb 10

Thank you very much, Adam.
    I went to those two sites and D/L'ed stuff for about an hour. :laugh:
    I'm happier than a pig in S***!

~/Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    RE: Ubuntu --> Windows has little to worry about?
    Personally, my preference leans toward Linux Mint 7 or 8 at this point. It is Ubuntu-based and very stable. I have Fedora 12 - don't like it (too much time trying to figure out the security system). I have some recent version of MEPIS - don't care much for it either, although it has some nice artwork included. Windows is so D***ed unconfigurable it isn't even funny any more, and every new version is more glutonous than the previous. BLEAH! The machine from which I am currently writing this is an AMD 900. It plays full speed HD videos just fine in Linux which is more than I can say for the XP Home installation on it. Furthermore, if I install some 6 year old card under Linux or some 6 year old version of Linux with some new hardware, I'll bet it can find drivers. And all it cost me was the time to find, download, and burn a CD. Plus, I'm learning some new programming stuff again. Factor in the sheer number of people supporting the Linux community, and I'll stay with 'X'. If you want to stay with Microsoft, keep your wallet handy... ~/Lee
    Link to this post 05 Jan 10

Personally, my preference leans toward Linux Mint 7 or 8 at this point. It is Ubuntu-based and very stable.
    I have Fedora 12 - don't like it (too much time trying to figure out the security system). I have some recent version of MEPIS - don't care much for it either, although it has some nice artwork included.
    Windows is so D***ed unconfigurable it isn't even funny any more, and every new version is more glutonous than the previous.
    BLEAH!
    The machine from which I am currently writing this is an AMD 900. It plays full speed HD videos just fine in Linux which is more than I can say for the XP Home installation on it.
    Furthermore, if I install some 6 year old card under Linux or some 6 year old version of Linux with some new hardware, I'll bet it can find drivers. And all it cost me was the time to find, download, and burn a CD. Plus, I'm learning some new programming stuff again. Factor in the sheer number of people supporting the Linux community, and I'll stay with 'X'.
    If you want to stay with Microsoft, keep your wallet handy...

~/Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    RE: WTF is arialb32.exe trying to install itself?
    I think it had to do with hotmail. After I uninstalled it, all the fonts on my hotmail account changed. :huh:
    Link to this post 05 Jan 10

I think it had to do with hotmail. After I uninstalled it, all the fonts on my hotmail account changed. :huh:

• Lee.Wilkerson
    RE: WTF is arialb32.exe trying to install itself?
    I didn't stop the installation in mid-process, but something else could have aborted during installation. Meanwhile, I searched Synaptic for mscorefonts and found that service as installed. I marked it and totally removed it. I guess I'll figure out what doesn't work properly later. I imagine it was WINE - I installed a later version... Did I mention? You guys rock. Thank you very much. TTYL. BTW, I have other issues with installation sources, but on a different machine. 't'would be good if you can tell me how to low level edit them since they don't show up in the Synaptic source menu. ~Lee
    Link to this post 26 Dec 09

I didn't stop the installation in mid-process, but something else could have aborted during installation.
    Meanwhile, I searched Synaptic for mscorefonts and found that service as installed. I marked it and totally removed it. I guess I'll figure out what doesn't work properly later. I imagine it was WINE - I installed a later version...
    Did I mention? You guys rock. Thank you very much. TTYL.

BTW, I have other issues with installation sources, but on a different machine. 't'would be good if you can tell me how to low level edit them since they don't show up in the Synaptic source menu.

~Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    WTF is arialb32.exe trying to install itself?
    Whenever I install new programs through Synaptic or apt-get, my Linux Mint 8 machine tries to find and install arialb32.exe. I get an error because it can't be found. Is WINE doing this? How do I find out and how do I fix it? [img size=470]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot_TTF_fonts_error.png[/img]

Whenever I install new programs through Synaptic or apt-get, my Linux Mint 8 machine tries to find and install arialb32.exe. I get an error because it can't be found. Is WINE doing this? How do I find out and how do I fix it?

• Lee.Wilkerson
    RE: Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?
    Right! rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to: lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’ CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’: /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’ /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’ /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’ /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’ /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’ /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’ make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’ make: *** [default] Error 2 Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.) I am not having fun, yet... BTW, what is a vboxnet0? It shows up in Network Tools as: Network device: vboxnet0 Hardware address: 0a:00:27:00:00:00 Multicast: Enabled MTU: 1500 Link speed: not available State: Inactive Transmitted packets: 0 Transmission errors: 0 Received packets: 0 Reception errors: 0 Collisions: 0 n.p. I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what: [ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg] HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys" HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys" HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS" HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB" HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04 HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00 HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3" HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3" HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet" HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet" Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo? ~Lee

Right!
    rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to:

lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’:
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’
    make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    make: *** [default] Error 2

Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.)

I am not having fun, yet...

BTW, what is a vboxnet0?
    It shows up in Network Tools as:

Network device: vboxnet0
    Hardware address: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
    Multicast: Enabled
    MTU: 1500
    Link speed: not available
    State: Inactive
    Transmitted packets: 0
    Transmission errors: 0
    Received packets: 0
    Reception errors: 0
    Collisions: 0

n.p.
    I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what:

[ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg]
    HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS"
    HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB"
    HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04
    HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"

Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo?

~Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    I just checked. Winduhs says Vendor ID is 067c and Product ID is e240 if that helps. That checks in as an Efficient Networks modem and apparently the 4200 and 5200 have the same chipset. I can find nothing on Efficient except that it was bought by Siemens. ~Lee
    Link to this post 23 Dec 09

I just checked. Winduhs says Vendor ID is 067c and Product ID is e240 if that helps.
    That checks in as an Efficient Networks modem and apparently the 4200 and 5200 have the same chipset.
    I can find nothing on Efficient except that it was bought by Siemens.

~Lee

• Lee.Wilkerson
    OK, so I brought one of my machines to the 'net and installed Linux Mint 8. It and I am currently connected... I still don't know enough to install rndis or usbnet. I don't even know what to look for on the web. BTW, if you can tell me of a tutorial which will take me by the hand (I still know virtually nothing of 'X' systems), I would dance at your next wedding. I am not a computer newbie. In fact I thought I was quite technically competent, but my use and abuse of Winduhs has really slowed me down. I guess it's sorta like using CB radio - if you CB long enough, your IQ will go to s#^@.:P ~Lee
    Link to this post 23 Dec 09

OK, so I brought one of my machines to the 'net and installed Linux Mint 8. It and I am currently connected...

I still don't know enough to install rndis or usbnet. I don't even know what to look for on the web.

BTW, if you can tell me of a tutorial which will take me by the hand (I still know virtually nothing of 'X' systems), I would dance at your next wedding.

I am not a computer newbie. In fact I thought I was quite technically competent, but my use and abuse of Winduhs has really slowed me down. I guess it's sorta like using CB radio - if you CB long enough, your IQ will go to s#^@.:P

~Lee

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board