• Last Logged In: 27 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Angitherias
    RE: Installing on old PC
    The swap file is where Linux would be copied to and run from?
    Link to this post 02 Nov 09

The swap file is where Linux would be copied to and run from?

• Angitherias
    Good news, I decided to try from the start, my old laptop runs Puppy 1 with the 64 mb of ram. I'll experiment with this for a while and will try 2, 3, then 4 if each works accordingly. I was reading that I'll have to setup a pagefile which will help with the low ram issue I have. Applications do start but take a while to load up. I'm quite excited.
    Link to this post 01 Nov 09

Good news, I decided to try from the start, my old laptop runs Puppy 1 with the 64 mb of ram. I'll experiment with this for a while and will try 2, 3, then 4 if each works accordingly. I was reading that I'll have to setup a pagefile which will help with the low ram issue I have. Applications do start but take a while to load up. I'm quite excited.

• Angitherias
    Mfillpot, I have no idea what you just said, I am new to Linux. That computer has 64mb of ram, I am not interested in anything fancy, just something for basic web browsing.
    Link to this post 29 Oct 09

Mfillpot, I have no idea what you just said, I am new to Linux. That computer has 64mb of ram, I am not interested in anything fancy, just something for basic web browsing.

• Angitherias
    Well I tried Puppy on that old computer, it starts to boot, then looks like it hangs.. from what I can tell from the puppy website, I don't have enough ram, 64 mb short, will have to look into it more. I could try Gentoo also, does this one have a boot from cd option only too like puppy does?
    Link to this post 28 Oct 09

Well I tried Puppy on that old computer, it starts to boot, then looks like it hangs.. from what I can tell from the puppy website, I don't have enough ram, 64 mb short, will have to look into it more. I could try Gentoo also, does this one have a boot from cd option only too like puppy does?

• Angitherias
    I have a similar question about an old PC, model is Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT laptop. This computer has a 133 MHz MMX pentium cpu, its pretty ancient with 64 mb of ram, 2 mb video, 3 gig HDD, cd-rom. Thats for the basics, it can run win xp (of all things :P ). I would like to know what would be the best starter window based linux to use as I've never used it before.
    Link to this post 20 Oct 09

I have a similar question about an old PC, model is Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT laptop. This computer has a 133 MHz MMX pentium cpu, its pretty ancient with 64 mb of ram, 2 mb video, 3 gig HDD, cd-rom. Thats for the basics, it can run win xp (of all things :P ).

I would like to know what would be the best starter window based linux to use as I've never used it before.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board