• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 14 Dec 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • altNull
    RE: How do you edit the interface on Ubuntu?
    Google: [i]Compiz[/i] AND Google: [i]Emerald[/i]
    Link to this post 13 Apr 10

Google: Compiz

AND

Google: Emerald

• altNull
    RE: ln -s?
    Also check [i]Linux from Scratch[/i], its the #1 goto guide for building Linux. There is also the Gentoo, which is not from scratch, but the community is very extensive.

Also check Linux from Scratch, its the #1 goto guide for building Linux. There is also the Gentoo, which is not from scratch, but the community is very extensive.

• altNull
    RE: Is Linux Right For Me?
    [u][size=5]Linux is great for the following reasons:[/size][/u] [ol][li][b]1. Servers (better security, better resource management, cloud computing, ect)[/b][/li] [li][b]2. Networking (better management, better security, ect)[/b][/li] [li][b]3. Development (compiling, community, ect) [/b][/li] [li][b]4. Virtualization (VirtualBox, VMWare, Zen)[/b][/li] [li][b]5. General Desktop Use (ie - Documents, Email, Internet)[/b][/li][/ol] [u][size=5]Linux is not designed for:[/size][/u] [ol][b][li]1. Gaming (you have to work hard to play games on Linux with Wine)[/li] [li]2. Non-Computer Users [/li] [li]3. Microsoft Lovers [/li] [li]4. Mac Worshipers [/li][/b][/ol] But anyone can become a Linux user. The easiest thing is to download and burn a copy of Ubuntu onto a dvd. Then install and use with the Ubuntu forums. Another thing that will help you is to get on the freenode IRC and go to the #Ubuntu channel for help - there will be users of all calibers on there that can help you. If you still want to game - then dual boot Linux with Windows. There are several HowTos online to help you with this, but be warned that dual booting Linux with Vista is not recommended by anyone - upgrade to Win7. You can also dual boot with Mac OSX as well, but you'll need to follow the HowTo exactly. Good Luck --altNull--

Linux is great for the following reasons:
    [ol][li]1. Servers (better security, better resource management, cloud computing, ect)[/li]
    [li]2. Networking (better management, better security, ect)[/li]
    [li]3. Development (compiling, community, ect) [/li]
    [li]4. Virtualization (VirtualBox, VMWare, Zen)[/li]
    [li]5. General Desktop Use (ie - Documents, Email, Internet)[/li][/ol]

Linux is not designed for:
    [ol][li]1. Gaming (you have to work hard to play games on Linux with Wine)[/li]
    [li]2. Non-Computer Users [/li]
    [li]3. Microsoft Lovers [/li]
    [li]4. Mac Worshipers [/li]
    [/ol]

But anyone can become a Linux user. The easiest thing is to download and burn a copy of Ubuntu onto a dvd. Then install and use with the Ubuntu forums. Another thing that will help you is to get on the freenode IRC and go to the #Ubuntu channel for help - there will be users of all calibers on there that can help you.

If you still want to game - then dual boot Linux with Windows. There are several HowTos online to help you with this, but be warned that dual booting Linux with Vista is not recommended by anyone - upgrade to Win7. You can also dual boot with Mac OSX as well, but you'll need to follow the HowTo exactly.

Good Luck

--altNull--

• altNull
    RE: Delete and restart Linux...
    Actually, from your original post - [quote]I don't know anything about Linux. I purchased this ASUS notebook that runs Linux. I seem to have deleted/killed some program and now I can not read my messages on Facebook. I would like to delete and re-start Linux on this notebook. Is it possible?? Please help... tia Tammy [/quote] it seems that you just need to reinstall the internet browser. If your using Ubuntu (Debian based Distro), then you need to use the following command in the terminal: [code] sudo apt-get remove Enter your login password[/code] Once its done uninstalling the browser don't stop there - you need to reinstall the browser. [code] sudo apt-get install Re-enter login password[/code] If you want to do this in one single command then it would be - [code] sudo apt-get remove ; sudo apt-get install Enter login password[/code] If you have any problems - copy the contents of the terminal to this forum so we can help you. Also screen shots would be great too. --altNull--

Actually, from your original post -

I don't know anything about Linux. I purchased this ASUS notebook that runs Linux. I seem to have deleted/killed some program and now I can not read my messages on Facebook. I would like to delete and re-start Linux on this notebook. Is it possible?? Please help... tia Tammy

it seems that you just need to reinstall the internet browser. If your using Ubuntu (Debian based Distro), then you need to use the following command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get remove <Browser Name>

Enter your login password

Once its done uninstalling the browser don't stop there - you need to reinstall the browser.

sudo apt-get install <Browser Name>

Re-enter login password

If you want to do this in one single command then it would be -

sudo apt-get remove <Browser Name>; sudo apt-get install <Browser Name>

Enter login password

If you have any problems - copy the contents of the terminal to this forum so we can help you. Also screen shots would be great too.

--altNull--

• altNull
    RE: Wireless Driver(s) Not Working
    Personally, I like wicd. Its not the drivers, but a wireless manager. My biggest problem was that when I first installed Fedora 12 on my laptop, there would be a segment fault error causing kernel crash. This was caused by the Gnome Wireless Manager and not the driver. Now I had to switch Ubuntu to get the graphics drivers working, but I was able to get the wireless working through wicd before I switched. Try using that before you try using new drivers, because it will take less time to install and configure. If that doesn't working try using the drivers from [url=http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers]Linux Wireless[/url]. They have the broadest set of drivers that you can install at ounce. You'll need to read documentation on how to use the scripts.
    Link to this post 25 Mar 10

Personally, I like wicd. Its not the drivers, but a wireless manager. My biggest problem was that when I first installed Fedora 12 on my laptop, there would be a segment fault error causing kernel crash. This was caused by the Gnome Wireless Manager and not the driver. Now I had to switch Ubuntu to get the graphics drivers working, but I was able to get the wireless working through wicd before I switched. Try using that before you try using new drivers, because it will take less time to install and configure.

If that doesn't working try using the drivers from Linux Wireless. They have the broadest set of drivers that you can install at ounce. You'll need to read documentation on how to use the scripts.

• altNull
    RE: Having trouble installing a evga 8400 gs pci
    Do you want to do it manually? Since your using Ubuntu I'm assuming NO. Therefore see program entitled EnvyNG in any updated Ubuntu repository.
    Link to this post 09 Mar 10

Do you want to do it manually? Since your using Ubuntu I'm assuming NO. Therefore see program entitled EnvyNG in any updated Ubuntu repository.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board