• Last Logged In: 03 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Liverbones
    RE: Playing Myst in Linux
    Are you just trying to play the original Myst? If you are, I don't see the point of installing a virtual machine or anything of the sort; it runs perfectly well in DOSbox (I should know, I've set it up a few times). The only thing to keep in mind when running it from DOSbox is that it requires the CD in the drive to play, which DOSbox won't automatically pick up. Basically all I did was edit .dosboxrc to automatically mount my games directory (~/Games) as C: and mount my DVD drive on startup. When DOSbox is installed, you should probably check to see if your arrow keys work in it. I know some versions of Ubuntu changed something involving the keymapping which causes DOSbox to map the arrow keys incorrectly (only the arrow keys, fortunately). If your arrow keys don't work, just open up a text editor and create the file .dosboxrc (no file extension) in your home folder. Add the following lines: [code][sdl] usescancodes=false [autoexec] @mount c ~/Games @mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom @c: @cls[/code] Now the keyboard should work just fine, your C:\ drive is mounted to the Games directory in your home, and the CD drive is mounted as well. You should be able to install and run Myst just fine this way without having to start up a virtual machine to play it.
    Link to this post 05 Nov 09

Are you just trying to play the original Myst? If you are, I don't see the point of installing a virtual machine or anything of the sort; it runs perfectly well in DOSbox (I should know, I've set it up a few times). The only thing to keep in mind when running it from DOSbox is that it requires the CD in the drive to play, which DOSbox won't automatically pick up. Basically all I did was edit .dosboxrc to automatically mount my games directory (~/Games) as C: and mount my DVD drive on startup.

When DOSbox is installed, you should probably check to see if your arrow keys work in it. I know some versions of Ubuntu changed something involving the keymapping which causes DOSbox to map the arrow keys incorrectly (only the arrow keys, fortunately). If your arrow keys don't work, just open up a text editor and create the file .dosboxrc (no file extension) in your home folder. Add the following lines:

[sdl]
    usescancodes=false

[autoexec]
    @mount c ~/Games
    @mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom
    @c:
    @cls

Now the keyboard should work just fine, your C:\ drive is mounted to the Games directory in your home, and the CD drive is mounted as well. You should be able to install and run Myst just fine this way without having to start up a virtual machine to play it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board