• Last Logged In: 07 Apr 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • adder1972
    The Western Digital 1TB MyBook World Edition
    I had been looking for a new storage solution for a while, and after hearing Linc @TLLTS at some episode, I decided to get the WD 1TB WE ("White Light"). For me, it was interesting that the box runs Linux. Mine seems to have BusyBox v1.1.1 and the 2.6.24.4 kernel. I run Ubuntu on most of my PCs, so I didn't bother to install any of the software that came with the box. On the White Light edition SSH access is enabled through the control panel/web interface. Then I could roam around via my terminal. http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/ has many great hacks for the box. I installed Optware which gave me more possibilities. For instance, I installed the Transmission daemon for downloading torrents. I have seen in the /proto/SxM_webui/podcast - folder, that it seems to be some rudimentary podcast subscription and download tool. This is not implemented by default by WD though. Since it has an ARM-processor, I was wondering if I should try to install other ARM-friendly distros on it. Perhaps some day. OK - the short story is: A great toy for my home network.
    Link to this post 29 Apr 10

I had been looking for a new storage solution for a while, and after hearing Linc @TLLTS at some episode, I decided to get the WD 1TB WE ("White Light"). For me, it was interesting that the box runs Linux. Mine seems to have BusyBox v1.1.1 and the 2.6.24.4 kernel.

I run Ubuntu on most of my PCs, so I didn't bother to install any of the software that came with the box. On the White Light edition SSH access is enabled through the control panel/web interface. Then I could roam around via my terminal. http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/ has many great hacks for the box. I installed Optware which gave me more possibilities. For instance, I installed the Transmission daemon for downloading torrents.

I have seen in the /proto/SxM_webui/podcast - folder, that it seems to be some rudimentary podcast subscription and download tool. This is not implemented by default by WD though.

Since it has an ARM-processor, I was wondering if I should try to install other ARM-friendly distros on it. Perhaps some day.

OK - the short story is: A great toy for my home network.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board