• Last Logged In: 08 Dec 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • casbonano
    RE: question about ls output
    so here is a print out of my problematic command followed by your successful command: ast login: Wed Nov 25 12:30:03 on ttys000 sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -aF ./ .lesshst Music/ ../ Desktop/ Pictures/ .CFUserTextEncoding Documents/ Public/ .DS_Store Downloads/ Sites/ .Trash/ Library/ .bash_history Movies/ sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -adl drwxr-xr-x+ 16 carlos staff 544 Nov 24 19:03 . sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -aF|grep /|nl 1 ./ 2 ../ 3 .Trash/ 4 Desktop/ 5 Documents/ 6 Downloads/ 7 Library/ 8 Movies/ 9 Music/ 10 Pictures/ 11 Public/ 12 Sites/ sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]The first command ls -aF states to (a) show all files types in the current directory and to (F) append a file type designator. The second command ls -adl states to (a) show all file types in the current directory, (d) show only the summary for the current directory and (l) display in list form with file details. This makes the a and d conflict each other, in which the d argument wins. -------- No doubt your grep command gave the desired output, but i just dont understand. it seems to me that that in the conflict between (a) and (d) in (ls -adl) its the (a) that wins as opposed to the (d), hence a tally of 16 items vs the twelve. am i right or just missing something? once again just trying to learn. no doubt the grep command you gave gave the desired results, now i am trying to understand why the other didnt, and the only thing i can come up with is that the a wins over the d hence the 16 item count. thanks as always
    Link to this post 26 Nov 09

so here is a print out of my problematic command followed by your successful command:

ast login: Wed Nov 25 12:30:03 on ttys000
    sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -aF
    ./ .lesshst Music/
    ../ Desktop/ Pictures/
    .CFUserTextEncoding Documents/ Public/
    .DS_Store Downloads/ Sites/
    .Trash/ Library/
    .bash_history Movies/

sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -adl
    drwxr-xr-x+ 16 carlos staff 544 Nov 24 19:03 .

sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$ ls -aF|grep /|nl
    1 ./
    2 ../
    3 .Trash/
    4 Desktop/
    5 Documents/
    6 Downloads/
    7 Library/
    8 Movies/
    9 Music/
    10 Pictures/
    11 Public/
    12 Sites/
    sgilis-macbook:~ carlos$

mfillpot wrote:
    [quote]The first command ls -aF states to (a) show all files types in the current directory and to (F) append a file type designator.
    The second command ls -adl states to (a) show all file types in the current directory, (d) show only the summary for the current directory and (l) display in list form with file details. This makes the a and d conflict each other, in which the d argument wins.

--------

No doubt your grep command gave the desired output, but i just dont understand. it seems to me that that in the conflict between (a) and (d) in (ls -adl) its the (a) that wins as opposed to the (d), hence a tally of 16 items vs the twelve. am i right or just missing something?

once again just trying to learn. no doubt the grep command you gave gave the desired results, now i am trying to understand why the other didnt, and the only thing i can come up with is that the a wins over the d hence the 16 item count.

thanks as always

• casbonano
    question about ls output
    ok. so i'm just learning so pardon me please. i am entering: ls -aF which should return everything in my current directury, hidden or not, and whether its a file, directory or symb link. when i do this i tally up the directories then enter in the following ls -adl which should return all (hidden or not) directories in a long list format. PROBLEM IS the numbers of long list dont match up with my tally in ls -aF. as a matter of fact, if there are 16 items in ls -aF, 16 items show up in ls -adl as well, not just the directories. just wondering why this is. thanks. hope that made sense.
    Link to this post 25 Nov 09

ok. so i'm just learning so pardon me please.

i am entering:

ls -aF

which should return everything in my current directury, hidden or not, and whether its a file, directory or symb link. when i do this i tally up the directories then enter in the following

ls -adl

which should return all (hidden or not) directories in a long list format.

PROBLEM IS the numbers of long list dont match up with my tally in ls -aF. as a matter of fact, if there are 16 items in ls -aF, 16 items show up in ls -adl as well, not just the directories.

just wondering why this is.

thanks. hope that made sense.

• casbonano
    RE: what's the potential for a powerbook g4 titanium?
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]The following link directs you through distrowatch to their index of Linux based distributions that are available for the powerpc architecture (the Mac G4 processor is a PowerPC chip). [url]http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active[/url][/quote] thanks for the link. sounds like exactly what i was looking for. i will make sure to check it out.
    Link to this post 24 Nov 09

mfillpot wrote:

The following link directs you through distrowatch to their index of Linux based distributions that are available for the powerpc architecture (the Mac G4 processor is a PowerPC chip).

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active

thanks for the link. sounds like exactly what i was looking for. i will make sure to check it out.

• casbonano
    what's the potential for a powerbook g4 titanium?
    Hello world. I am not only a total newb to linux, but to computers in general past being an end user. besides taking up computer science as my second major so that i can learn as much as possible, i am making it a point to read books and joining internet groups. All have pointed to linux. I would like some opinions of how much potential my first apple machine has with linux. specs are as follows: -Apple G4 Powerbook Titanium -667mhz processor -256mb ram -optical=combo (cd/dvd-r, cd-rw) -60gb hd -pc adapter card slot -no wifi -usb and firewire. -OS X (10.2.8) i am getting the faulty optical drive replaced for under 200 bucks, and could upgrade the ram to 1GB for another 100 or so. in my dreams, i would like to someday build an OS from the ground up, just to learn how its done. but thats some time away. my question is whether or not this hardware is viable for linux (slide!!!) and if so what kind of applications. I hear old (p)pc's are great materials for making servers, for example. please remember that i am a total newb. i am just now learning how to get around on linecommands (terminal). basic stuff like "man", "pwd, ls, mkdir" and so forth. i have no real programming language experience or knowledge, other than having written the "hello world" program in ruby. thanks ahead of time for your help ps- this isnt my only machine by the way. I have an imac, a macbook, and am about to purchase a new macbook pro in a couple of weeks. the g4 powerbook is going to be strictly a "project and learn" machine. thanx,
    Link to this post 23 Nov 09

Hello world.

I am not only a total newb to linux, but to computers in general past being an end user. besides taking up computer science as my second major so that i can learn as much as possible, i am making it a point to read books and joining internet groups.

All have pointed to linux.

I would like some opinions of how much potential my first apple machine has with linux. specs are as follows:

-Apple G4 Powerbook Titanium
    -667mhz processor
    -256mb ram
    -optical=combo (cd/dvd-r, cd-rw)
    -60gb hd
    -pc adapter card slot
    -no wifi
    -usb and firewire.
    -OS X (10.2.8)

i am getting the faulty optical drive replaced for under 200 bucks, and could upgrade the ram to 1GB for another 100 or so.

in my dreams, i would like to someday build an OS from the ground up, just to learn how its done. but thats some time away. my question is whether or not this hardware is viable for linux (slide!!!) and if so what kind of applications. I hear old (p)pc's are great materials for making servers, for example.

please remember that i am a total newb. i am just now learning how to get around on linecommands (terminal). basic stuff like "man", "pwd, ls, mkdir" and so forth. i have no real programming language experience or knowledge, other than having written the "hello world" program in ruby.

thanks ahead of time for your help

ps- this isnt my only machine by the way. I have an imac, a macbook, and am about to purchase a new macbook pro in a couple of weeks. the g4 powerbook is going to be strictly a "project and learn" machine. thanx,

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board