• Last Logged In: 26 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • leechy
    RE: Problem running executable files
    Joseph, I'm sorry, but you should really open your own thread. By executables, do you mean windows programs? Because if that's the case, then you cannot run those on linux in a standard fashion.
    Link to this post 05 Sep 10

Joseph, I'm sorry, but you should really open your own thread. By executables, do you mean windows programs? Because if that's the case, then you cannot run those on linux in a standard fashion.

• leechy
    RE: Need some help
    By terminal I mean command line. They have a great documentation page to take you step by step through it. When you first install the operating system, you will have to type everything in to get it working. After you install the additional packages you should be fine, and will boot into a normal system. If that sounds too hard, then take a look at this. http://www.archbang.org/ You will want to go to downloads and choose the ArchBang 2010.05 32-bit (2010-05-11) main iso.

By terminal I mean command line. They have a great documentation page to take you step by step through it. When you first install the operating system, you will have to type everything in to get it working. After you install the additional packages you should be fine, and will boot into a normal system.

If that sounds too hard, then take a look at this. http://www.archbang.org/
    You will want to go to downloads and choose the ArchBang 2010.05 32-bit (2010-05-11) main iso.

• leechy
    RE: Need some help
    Arch Linux is all you need. They have great documentation and make it easy to install a full OS. If you feel somewhat comfortable with terminal, then go ahead and give it a shot. It's a rolling release, so you never have to install from a disk again. The distro when downloaded is only about 324MB.

Arch Linux is all you need. They have great documentation and make it easy to install a full OS. If you feel somewhat comfortable with terminal, then go ahead and give it a shot. It's a rolling release, so you never have to install from a disk again. The distro when downloaded is only about 324MB.

• leechy
    RE: Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users
    Linux Mint is great for new people, because it has nearly everything a beginner would need: Codecs, a friendly community, stability, flashplayer, java, etc. I would have to recommend to look on ubuntu forums for troubleshooting, and the archlinux documentation pages for when the user wants to delve deeper into linux and wants to know how things work.
    Link to this post 30 Aug 10

Linux Mint is great for new people, because it has nearly everything a beginner would need: Codecs, a friendly community, stability, flashplayer, java, etc.

I would have to recommend to look on ubuntu forums for troubleshooting, and the archlinux documentation pages for when the user wants to delve deeper into linux and wants to know how things work.

• leechy
    RE: install linux on acer notebook
    Hey, I know what you're going through, and a lot of people have problems with this. I would download Ubuntu for netbooks, which will be your linux distribution http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download If you click on the "show me how" button, there will be several instructions that make everything simple. After you have put ubuntu on your flash drive, reboot your computer and look for a prompt at the very beginning that says "boot options" or "boot menu" or "boot devices". Hit the corresponding key, and choose the usb option with the arrow and enter keys. Then the rest should be fairly straight forward. Feel free to post if you need more help.
    Link to this post 30 Aug 10

Hey, I know what you're going through, and a lot of people have problems with this.

I would download Ubuntu for netbooks, which will be your linux distribution http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download
    If you click on the "show me how" button, there will be several instructions that make everything simple.

After you have put ubuntu on your flash drive, reboot your computer and look for a prompt at the very beginning that says "boot options" or "boot menu" or "boot devices". Hit the corresponding key, and choose the usb option with the arrow and enter keys.

Then the rest should be fairly straight forward. Feel free to post if you need more help.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board