• Last Logged In: 22 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • astromech_kuhns
    RE: hey all! couple questions:D
    ok, i may not have made this clear, which would be my fault and causing a lot of misunderstanding. i am using two computers. i have mine, a gateway with XP on it and wubu ubuntu. then my aunts had a HP computer running XP. it has to have one of those old linksys cards for wifi. but even that doesnt work. and so it isnt of much use. so they let me try to install ubuntu on it. so i want to install ubuntu from disk onto the old HP. i got the disk from the desktop section where i went to the ubuntu site so i am guessing it is right. now i was just ranting about how my PC was breaking down in the other post. then asking what i should do. so that computer has wubu and is working fine other than the XP problem. so i will wait to fix the XP OS on my gate way but on the HP i still have my problem. when i put the disk in and boot from disk, it will start up and give me my options like try ubuntu with no change to OS or like install ubuntu then i didnt pay attention to the rest after that. but if i go to install ubuntu and hit enter it stays on that screen and i cant change my highlighted choice. after a while of being like that if i hit a button it makes a loud beep. i would think this was it installing except that there is not bar showing progress of the install or anything. then again it might not show the progress im not sure.
    Link to this post 23 Dec 09

ok, i may not have made this clear, which would be my fault and causing a lot of misunderstanding.

i am using two computers. i have mine, a gateway with XP on it and wubu ubuntu.

then my aunts had a HP computer running XP. it has to have one of those old linksys cards for wifi. but even that doesnt work. and so it isnt of much use. so they let me try to install ubuntu on it.

so i want to install ubuntu from disk onto the old HP. i got the disk from the desktop section where i went to the ubuntu site so i am guessing it is right.

now i was just ranting about how my PC was breaking down in the other post. then asking what i should do. so that computer has wubu and is working fine other than the XP problem.

so i will wait to fix the XP OS on my gate way but on the HP i still have my problem. when i put the disk in and boot from disk, it will start up and give me my options like try ubuntu with no change to OS or like install ubuntu then i didnt pay attention to the rest after that. but if i go to install ubuntu and hit enter it stays on that screen and i cant change my highlighted choice. after a while of being like that if i hit a button it makes a loud beep. i would think this was it installing except that there is not bar showing progress of the install or anything. then again it might not show the progress im not sure.

• astromech_kuhns
    uuhhh! nothing is going right!!!!! okay i was trying to install ubuntu 9.4 i think is what karmic kuala? the newest one. any way its the newest one that i am trying to install. its on a older XP HP computer. i downloaded it off the desktop section and then i put it on a disk. i put that disk in and booted from the cdrom. it then proceeded to go to the ubuntu menu. all is well. then i hit install ubuntu and enter and it stays on that screen. just sits there. and after a while if i try to hit something like a button on the keyboard it makes a loud beeping sound. so i thought maybe i needed to do it from live disk thing instead of desktop category. then tonight my computer that i am dual booting ubuntu and XP on got BSoD and rebooted. it worked. then failed. now i have to reinstall it cause its missing a file that is needed. one with the drivers. well i can get another disk and repair it like it says with it, but i use my computer a lot to have it not working. lucky me i have ubuntu on there. well its not working i can boot up in it just fine. but for whatever reason, and it did this a couple days before having troubles with XP, i dont know if i hit something, but the wireless internet thing on my panel up top is gone and i cant seem to get it back on or connect to the internet. so my options are, try to reinstall the XP operating system/fix the missing file. or wing it and try to use the desktop disk i made and install that completely onto my computer and hope it gives me back the wifi icon at the top and even though i dont have sound i atleast have wifi. i actually happened to back up all my files the other day but for now they dont do me any good on ubuntu. idk. so my original question, i used the desktop disk and tried that it wasnt working right i think maybe so, and the OS was the newest ubuntu. and i was installing on XP. then my main computer now needs some work so what do you all think i should do, borrow XP disk from my friend and fix it like it says on the boot screen? or wing it and try to instal ubuntu on my computer with no sound and hope the wifi setting is there? thanks!
    Link to this post 22 Dec 09

uuhhh! nothing is going right!!!!!
    okay i was trying to install ubuntu 9.4 i think is what karmic kuala? the newest one.

any way its the newest one that i am trying to install. its on a older XP HP computer. i downloaded it off the desktop section and then i put it on a disk. i put that disk in and booted from the cdrom. it then proceeded to go to the ubuntu menu. all is well.

then i hit install ubuntu and enter and it stays on that screen. just sits there. and after a while if i try to hit something like a button on the keyboard it makes a loud beeping sound.

so i thought maybe i needed to do it from live disk thing instead of desktop category.

then tonight my computer that i am dual booting ubuntu and XP on got BSoD and rebooted. it worked. then failed. now i have to reinstall it cause its missing a file that is needed. one with the drivers. well i can get another disk and repair it like it says with it, but i use my computer a lot to have it not working. lucky me i have ubuntu on there. well its not working

i can boot up in it just fine. but for whatever reason, and it did this a couple days before having troubles with XP, i dont know if i hit something, but the wireless internet thing on my panel up top is gone and i cant seem to get it back on or connect to the internet.

so my options are, try to reinstall the XP operating system/fix the missing file.

or

wing it and try to use the desktop disk i made and install that completely onto my computer and hope it gives me back the wifi icon at the top and even though i dont have sound i atleast have wifi.

i actually happened to back up all my files the other day but for now they dont do me any good on ubuntu.

idk. so my original question, i used the desktop disk and tried that it wasnt working right i think maybe so, and the OS was the newest ubuntu. and i was installing on XP.

then my main computer now needs some work so what do you all think i should do, borrow XP disk from my friend and fix it like it says on the boot screen? or wing it and try to instal ubuntu on my computer with no sound and hope the wifi setting is there?

thanks!

• astromech_kuhns
    so if i am going to put this OS on my laptop via a disk i use, do i download it from the category live disk or desktop?
    Link to this post 19 Dec 09

so if i am going to put this OS on my laptop via a disk i use, do i download it from the category live disk or desktop?

• astromech_kuhns
    RE: my mp3 and linux
    what info would the "make" be? year and company? its new, and is colby.
    Link to this post 18 Dec 09

what info would the "make" be? year and company? its new, and is colby.

• astromech_kuhns
    alright well i played around with it a bit, didnt find that but i did get it so that i can switch between windows in the circle. i am liking ubuntu a lot. i as most have the sound problem with ubuntu. i looked around a bit and entered some command line codes but it didnt succeed in getting me my sound, i saw two threads on it and tried both of them one someone posted in here and one was offsite but no success at all. not a total concern if it doesnt work but it would be nice, im sure with the alpha of the new ubuntu OS that this would be fixed by the time the new OS comes out fully.
    Link to this post 13 Dec 09

alright well i played around with it a bit, didnt find that but i did get it so that i can switch between windows in the circle. i am liking ubuntu a lot.

i as most have the sound problem with ubuntu. i looked around a bit and entered some command line codes but it didnt succeed in getting me my sound, i saw two threads on it and tried both of them one someone posted in here and one was offsite but no success at all. not a total concern if it doesnt work but it would be nice, im sure with the alpha of the new ubuntu OS that this would be fixed by the time the new OS comes out fully.

• astromech_kuhns
    my mp3 and linux
    ok so i have a extra mp3 player to mess around with and i was wondering if i could install linux onto it? i already have a ipod so i dont much need the mp3 player for a whole lot. i figured i would try to put linux on it. so i have a couple questions. can linux go onto the mp3 player as well as ipod? is linux on a mp3 or ipod the same thing as podzilla? and how do i add music to it? same way as i normally would or after installing linux to it would there be a new program for it. and finally my mp3 player is MP610-4G is there a download for this model? if so can i get a link to it? thank you so much!
    Link to this post 13 Dec 09

ok so i have a extra mp3 player to mess around with and i was wondering if i could install linux onto it? i already have a ipod so i dont much need the mp3 player for a whole lot. i figured i would try to put linux on it.

so i have a couple questions.

can linux go onto the mp3 player as well as ipod?

is linux on a mp3 or ipod the same thing as podzilla?

and how do i add music to it? same way as i normally would or after installing linux to it would there be a new program for it.

and finally my mp3 player is MP610-4G is there a download for this model? if so can i get a link to it?

thank you so much!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board