• Last Logged In: 05 Jun 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Seires
    RE: Need some good distro ideas
    Backtrack is a pretty good live CD distro I use at work alot. Has a ton of network features...including some that are a tad sketchy, but can help regardless. Otherwise OpenSuse was fun, alot of features, but a fairly large install from what I remember. Knoppix was always a favorite for something quick and easy though.
    Link to this post 04 Jun 09

Backtrack is a pretty good live CD distro I use at work alot. Has a ton of network features...including some that are a tad sketchy, but can help regardless.

Otherwise OpenSuse was fun, alot of features, but a fairly large install from what I remember. Knoppix was always a favorite for something quick and easy though.

• Seires
    RE: Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook
    hmm thanks for those links...Not sure, but it sounds like it loads a boot manager, which i'm not really sure I want to have on the computer. But maybe when the new models come out and I can play with one in private I will =)
    Link to this post 16 May 09

hmm thanks for those links...Not sure, but it sounds like it loads a boot manager, which i'm not really sure I want to have on the computer. But maybe when the new models come out and I can play with one in private I will =)

• Seires
    [b]atreyu wrote:[/b] [quote]Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?[/quote] I have not tried a USB Bootable. The only USB drive i currently have is a 16gb i use for personal use and can't wipe it for a little while till my project is done.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

atreyu wrote:

Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?

I have not tried a USB Bootable. The only USB drive i currently have is a 16gb i use for personal use and can't wipe it for a little while till my project is done.

• Seires
    Nah it's not a booting issue perse' . I work for Sony, but prefer linux on most things and was just curious. I hook up the USB drive, bios is set properly, it starts to load the disk, but then just stays on a black screen. One of the distro's i tried, just kept flickering, so seemed like a video issue or something. Which is why I tried so many. I do repairs at a Sony Style store and we are generally rather slow, so I toy around with stuff I probably shouldn't, but general knowlege = fun. =)
    Link to this post 15 May 09

Nah it's not a booting issue perse' . I work for Sony, but prefer linux on most things and was just curious. I hook up the USB drive, bios is set properly, it starts to load the disk, but then just stays on a black screen. One of the distro's i tried, just kept flickering, so seemed like a video issue or something.

Which is why I tried so many. I do repairs at a Sony Style store and we are generally rather slow, so I toy around with stuff I probably shouldn't, but general knowlege = fun. =)

• Seires
    Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook
    I've been searching around and only found one person who successfully got Fedora 11 on the Sony P-series notebook...I tried to boot off a live DVD but didn't work. Anyone know of a Live CD/DVD distro that'll work on it? I've tried Suse, Fedora, Backtrack, and Knoppix, all no go.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

I've been searching around and only found one person who successfully got Fedora 11 on the Sony P-series notebook...I tried to boot off a live DVD but didn't work.

Anyone know of a Live CD/DVD distro that'll work on it?

I've tried Suse, Fedora, Backtrack, and Knoppix, all no go.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board