Istimsak Abdulbasir

• Last Logged In: 3 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: When is the course going to be updated again?
    [quote="rchenzheng"]I am wondering because I believe the new exam will include new topics[/quote] I would assume you can check with the institutes that supply the course to check for updated information.
    Link to this post 31 Jan

rchenzheng said:

I am wondering because I believe the new exam will include new topics

I would assume you can check with the institutes that supply the course to check for updated information.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: KC 33.1: No mention of using passwd to lock password
    [quote="NYCJacob"]Is there a difference between locking the account and locking the password?[/quote] I would assume that there would be no difference. After some research, I have come to understand that locking an account keeps a user from logging in no matter what other methods of logging in they try to use, e.g, ssh login. Locking a password keeps the user from logging in using the associated password. However this may not keep them from logging in using other means. So in conclusion, locking an account and locking a password are two different things. Read this forum on CentOS for further details. [url=http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/109314/two-ways-to-lock-a-password-but-only-one-to-unlock]Two way to lock a unix/linux login account[/url]
    Link to this post 29 Jan

NYCJacob said:

Is there a difference between locking the account and locking the password?

I would assume that there would be no difference. After some research, I have come to understand that locking an account keeps a user from logging in no matter what other methods of logging in they try to use, e.g, ssh login.

Locking a password keeps the user from logging in using the associated password. However this may not keep them from logging in using other means.

So in conclusion, locking an account and locking a password are two different things. Read this forum on CentOS for further details.

Two way to lock a unix/linux login account

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: KC 33.1: No mention of using passwd to lock password
    [quote="dkarr"]In KC 33.1, it asks for the various ways an account can be locked. One of the required choices is "use the passwd tool to lock the password". I scanned and rescanned the content for this chapter, and this is not mentioned anywhere. I see from the "passwd" man page that "passwd -l" does this, but again, this isn't mentioned in the content.[/quote] What is the entire question on this KC? What does it say word for word? An account can be locked from the login prompt, "[b]on a shell[/b]", or from a login window, "[b]graphical desktop manager[/b]", if the system detects a number of failed login attempts. Is the question in this KC asking for an account can be manually locked?
    Link to this post 18 Jan

dkarr said:

In KC 33.1, it asks for the various ways an account can be locked. One of the required choices is "use the passwd tool to lock the password". I scanned and rescanned the content for this chapter, and this is not mentioned anywhere. I see from the "passwd" man page that "passwd -l" does this, but again, this isn't mentioned in the content.

What is the entire question on this KC? What does it say word for word? An account can be locked from the login prompt, "on a shell", or from a login window, "graphical desktop manager", if the system detects a number of failed login attempts. Is the question in this KC asking for an account can be manually locked?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Pressing Enter on KC dialogs dismisses training window
    [quote="dkarr"]KC stands for "Knowledge Check", the quiz questions in the course.[/quote] Thank you.
    Link to this post 18 Jan

dkarr said:

KC stands for "Knowledge Check", the quiz questions in the course.

Thank you.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Cht 16.5 logical vol creation size
    [quote="NYCJacob"] [b]If the partition is greater than 16m how would you extend the group latter to use more/all of the partition[/b].[/quote] I am not sure I understand that last sentence. Could you give a little more details? A partition can be any size the system will support. I have create partitions smaller than that on Ubuntu systems. Such a size is not uncommon. If you plan to use a partition for storage then yeah, way too small. It really depends on the filesystem. They support different sizes large and small.
    Link to this post 18 Jan

NYCJacob said:

If the partition is greater than 16m how would you extend the group latter to use more/all of the partition.

I am not sure I understand that last sentence. Could you give a little more details? A partition can be any size the system will support. I have create partitions smaller than that on Ubuntu systems. Such a size is not uncommon. If you plan to use a partition for storage then yeah, way too small.

It really depends on the filesystem. They support different sizes large and small.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: 19.12: getsebool and setsebool: INFO box truncates text
    [quote="dkarr"]Firefox ESR 38.5.0.[/quote] Though I am not taking the exam at the moment, why not use a different browser like chrome, chromium, or opera? It seems you are having issues with Firefox ESR 38.5.0.
    Link to this post 18 Jan

dkarr said:

Firefox ESR 38.5.0.

Though I am not taking the exam at the moment, why not use a different browser like chrome, chromium, or opera? It seems you are having issues with Firefox ESR 38.5.0.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Linux Training / Board

/** BC-056 Ameex changes to add tracking code - 2016-01-22 **/ ?>