• Last Logged In: 08 Feb

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Can't edit my own articles?
    Can you send a link to the article that you can't edit?
    Link to this post 24 Jan 13

Can you send a link to the article that you can't edit?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Hello,Everyone!
    Welcome @whonew Glad you decided to dabble into linux. You have embarked on a whole new adventure. Enjoy. Remember, we are here to help.
    Link to this post 24 Jan 13

Welcome @whonew

Glad you decided to dabble into linux. You have embarked on a whole new adventure. Enjoy. Remember, we are here to help.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Server distro question
    I find apt is very easy to use. rpm comes second. I prefer Debian based systems. Mainly Ubuntu. For servers, use Debian. It can be used with or without GUI. And will run your most basic tasks and advanced ones.
    Link to this post 10 Sep 12

I find apt is very easy to use. rpm comes second. I prefer Debian based systems. Mainly Ubuntu. For servers, use Debian. It can be used with or without GUI. And will run your most basic tasks and advanced ones.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Need help choosing linux distro
    Another note, you can use most of the popular programming languages in Linux.
    Link to this post 29 Aug 12

Another note, you can use most of the popular programming languages in Linux.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: How to run my web browser as a background process ?
    Why do you want to run firefox in the background? Daemons are system service that are ran in the background servicing the system or waiting requests from other apps. Firefox is a user app that the current user interacts with. It is not considered a daemon so it won't run in the background unless you execute it and minimize it to be used later. Again, it is meant for user access not system service.
    Link to this post 28 Aug 12

Why do you want to run firefox in the background?

Daemons are system service that are ran in the background servicing the system or waiting requests from other apps. Firefox is a user app that the current user interacts with. It is not considered a daemon so it won't run in the background unless you execute it and minimize it to be used later. Again, it is meant for user access not system service.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: How to get the list of currently active 2D applications
    Not sure if this will help, but you can run "top" from the command line which will give you active running applications on your system. Use the "man" command in the command line to get a description of the apps running.
    Link to this post 28 Aug 12

Not sure if this will help, but you can run "top" from the command line which will give you active running applications on your system.

Use the "man" command in the command line to get a description of the apps running.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board