• Last Logged In: 7 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Chromeee
    [quote="zachandcheez"] The screen telling me OS verification is off so basically the developer mode screen. After that I click ctrl+D and it takes me into Chrome OS and I login and everything but then when I do the ctrl+-> or ctrl+alt+-> (whichever one it is I forget at the moment) and it just brings me into the terminal. I also do control and the refresh button and it still doesn't boot Ubuntu. Thanks for your help :)[/quote] Switching to developer mode will be different for different models of chromebook. Switching between ChromeOS and Linux sounds universal. When your system is in developer mode, the key combination ctrl+d takes you to ChromeOS from the boot warning screen. To access your ubuntu install, you have to execute it within the terminal. Depending on the variant of ubuntu you have installed, the commands should look like this: [code]sudo startxfce4 "for xubuntu"[/code] [code]sudo startkde "for kubuntu"[/code] [code]sudo startunity "for ubuntu with unity"[/code] [url=http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/795730-how-to-easily-install-ubuntu-on-chromebook-with-crouton]Installing ubuntu on a chromebook[/url] It appears you are using the key combinations to switch between a running ubuntu instance and chromeOS. However, your installed linux OS is not running. Try booting your installed linux OS from the terminal using the above commands.
    Link to this post 06 Jan

zachandcheez said:

The screen telling me OS verification is off so basically the developer mode screen. After that I click ctrl+D and it takes me into Chrome OS and I login and everything but then when I do the ctrl+-> or ctrl+alt+-> (whichever one it is I forget at the moment) and it just brings me into the terminal. I also do control and the refresh button and it still doesn't boot Ubuntu. Thanks for your help :)

Switching to developer mode will be different for different models of chromebook.
    Switching between ChromeOS and Linux sounds universal.

When your system is in developer mode, the key combination ctrl+d takes you to ChromeOS from the boot warning screen. To access your ubuntu install, you have to execute it within the terminal. Depending on the variant of ubuntu you have installed, the commands should look like this:

sudo startxfce4 "for xubuntu"

sudo startkde "for kubuntu"

sudo startunity "for ubuntu with unity"

Installing ubuntu on a chromebook

It appears you are using the key combinations to switch between a running ubuntu instance and chromeOS. However, your installed linux OS is not running.

Try booting your installed linux OS from the terminal using the above commands.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Chromeee
    "I have attempted doing it so many times and gotten it to work twice" Can you clarify this statement you made? It sounds like you were in a learning stage. Just when you figured things out, you were able to access your ubuntu install twice. Is this correct?
    Link to this post 06 Jan

"I have attempted doing it so many times and gotten it to work twice"

Can you clarify this statement you made? It sounds like you were in a learning stage. Just when you figured things out, you were able to access your ubuntu install twice. Is this correct?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: [SOLVED] Mouse problems
    That is great that you were able to resolve your mouse problem.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

That is great that you were able to resolve your mouse problem.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: [Lubuntu] Monting automatically an network shared folder with fstab
    That is very interesting mfillpot. He did not indicate that he wanted the shared folder mounted on a windows client or that he was using a windows server. "I have a computer on my network that has Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit with many accounts and a NAS that shares, via Login, its folders with the Samba protocol." When I read this sentence, it sounded like he had a lubuntu desktop with multiple user accounts on it. He is also using a NAS that hosts shares using the samba protocol. He did not indicated that the NAS was linux or windows based. I don't hear many windows administrators setting up Samba on a Windows server. I could be wrong. "I wish that a network shared folder was mounted automatically when the computer is started so that all users could access it, without Login, in reading, writing and running." This sound like he wants a network shared folder mounted automatically when his Lubuntu system boots. All the user has to do is open it without the need for a password. I was setting up a Samba share on a LinuxMint 17 system and accessed the share from another LinuxMint 17 system. I was able to access it manually and mount it(not automatic mounting) with the public access option set. You mentioned mapped as persistent. Is this an option available within Samba's configuration file?
    Link to this post 05 Jan

That is very interesting mfillpot. He did not indicate that he wanted the shared folder mounted on a windows client or that he was using a windows server.

"I have a computer on my network that has Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit with many accounts and a NAS that shares, via Login, its folders with the Samba protocol."

When I read this sentence, it sounded like he had a lubuntu desktop with multiple user accounts on it.

He is also using a NAS that hosts shares using the samba protocol. He did not indicated that the NAS was linux or windows based. I don't hear many windows administrators setting up Samba on a Windows server. I could be wrong.

"I wish that a network shared folder was mounted automatically when the computer is started so that all users could access it, without Login, in reading, writing and running."

This sound like he wants a network shared folder mounted automatically when his Lubuntu system boots. All the user has to do is open it without the need for a password.

I was setting up a Samba share on a LinuxMint 17 system and accessed the share from another LinuxMint 17 system. I was able to access it manually and mount it(not automatic mounting) with the public access option set.

You mentioned mapped as persistent. Is this an option available within Samba's configuration file?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Wi-Fi credentials security
    [quote="mfillpot"]Many embedded plaforms have no root password by default, which is to allow the administrator to easily enter the system on the first boot and change the password to a new password of their choosing. Failure to change the password can and most likely will result in many security issues including extracting the passwd file, installing malicious software, modifying configurations, etc... In my opinion, anyone who does not change the default or null passwords immediately is not a good administrator and probably should not have access to those resources in the first place.[/quote] I have never heard or noticed such a setting. On the devices I have used with embedded linux, I was never able to gain root access to my device. One of those devices was an HTC EVO (android). Looks like I have learned something new.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

mfillpot said:

Many embedded plaforms have no root password by default, which is to allow the administrator to easily enter the system on the first boot and change the password to a new password of their choosing. Failure to change the password can and most likely will result in many security issues including extracting the passwd file, installing malicious software, modifying configurations, etc...

In my opinion, anyone who does not change the default or null passwords immediately is not a good administrator and probably should not have access to those resources in the first place.

I have never heard or noticed such a setting. On the devices I have used with embedded linux, I was never able to gain root access to my device. One of those devices was an HTC EVO (android). Looks like I have learned something new.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: [SOLVED] Mouse problems
    I just looked up the R.A.T 7 Contagion gaming mouse and it is something I have to get my hands on. The site I was on, did not mention that is was compatible with Linux yet it did mention that it had programmable buttons. I don't know what it meant by programmable, but after reading the link mfillpot submitted, the button layouts were changed in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This could be a definition of programmable buttons.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

I just looked up the R.A.T 7 Contagion gaming mouse and it is something I have to get my hands on. The site I was on, did not mention that is was compatible with Linux yet it did mention that it had programmable buttons. I don't know what it meant by programmable, but after reading the link mfillpot submitted, the button layouts were changed in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This could be a definition of programmable buttons.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board