• Last Logged In: 21 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Bootable DVD and Switchign to Linux Help
    Linux is not for everyone, that I do know. Don't always believe the hype. Use it and make your own decision. Glad you were able to burn Zorin.
    Link to this post 17 Dec

Linux is not for everyone, that I do know. Don't always believe the hype. Use it and make your own decision.

Glad you were able to burn Zorin.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Unexpected token fi
    [quote="lukefrost2014"]I am trying to run my command but it comes up with this error: syntax error near unexpected token `fi' on line 7. Here is my command: if [ $# -gt 0 ] then if [ $1 = head ] || [$1 = tail ] then $1 -n $3 else [color=blue]You did not put an action to execute after the else statement. The "else" statement always needs an action in order for the command to execute properly.[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]If this is not satisfied[/color], [color=red]"$1 -n $3[/color], [color=blue]what should the command do as a result?[/color] fi fi if [ -d $3 ] then echo "Directory selected exists" else echo "Directory selected does not exist" fi if [[ $2 = *[[:digit:]]* ]]; then echo "value is a digit" else echo "$2 is not an integer" fi [/quote]
    Link to this post 16 Dec

lukefrost2014 said:

I am trying to run my command but it comes up with this error:
    syntax error near unexpected token `fi' on line 7.

Here is my command:

if [ $# -gt 0 ]
    then
    if [ $1 = head ] || [$1 = tail ]
    then
    $1 -n $3
    else

You did not put an action to execute after the else statement. The "else" statement always needs an action in order for the command to execute properly.

If this is not satisfied, "$1 -n $3, what should the command do as a result?

fi
    fi

if [ -d $3 ]
    then
    echo "Directory selected exists"
    else
    echo "Directory selected does not exist"
    fi

if [[ $2 = *[[:digit:]]* ]];
    then
    echo "value is a digit"
    else
    echo "$2 is not an integer"
    fi

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Installing Linux Mint 17.1 or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on MacbookPro
    It will, and I had nothing but good experience with Intel hardware. Lets us know how things went with your new system setup. Take care.
    Link to this post 15 Dec

It will, and I had nothing but good experience with Intel hardware.

Lets us know how things went with your new system setup.

Take care.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Installing Linux Mint 17.1 or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on MacbookPro
    [quote="Hugenoot"][color=blue]Hi[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]I am about to entirely replace OS X with Linux. I am pretty clued up as an experienced Linux user but far from being a true geek.[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]Mac: I like the hardware but not the OS. So I am not really interested in dual-booting at all.[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]Current MacbookPro (Mavericks) is a 2012 i5 2.5GHz with 4GB DDR and an aftermarket WD 1TB HDD and Mint 17.1 LiveSession runs rather well.[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]You have in your possession some nice hardware. You can run just about any Linux system on that.[/color] [color=blue][/color] [color=blue]Also considering a new MacbookPro 15" 2.2Ghz i7 Quad with 16GB DDR, IrisPro and a 256GB SSD.[/color] Questions: [list=] [*] [color=blue]Is there any reason NOT to replace the entire OS X?[/color] I believe there are two reasons not to replace your current OS: 1) the hardware does not support Linux 2) you still want to use your current system's native apps FOSS has thousands of software you can use in place of the apps you are using now. They won't work the same or implement the same features. Some are more stable than others. IF those native apps are of high importance, or you cannot find good open source replacements for them, do not wipe your current system Another thing to keep in mind is the support level of linux on your current hardware. You may be able to use the Live-session of your preferred Linux OS, but it might not install correctly on your hardware. Dualbooting will ensure that if something goes wrong, you can always go back to what works. If everything works as planned, or works as satisfactory levels, then you can decide on when to completely let linux take over your system. [*] [color=blue]Will the Macbook allow replacing OS X?[/color] First thing is to find out if that MacOSX hardware will allow another OS to be installed. The question is yes. You can install Linux on Mac-grade hardware. [*] [color=blue]How well does Linux (Mint) handle the Retina display? Will it at least do 1920x1080 resolution, or can Linux go higher?[/color] Depending on the support your chosen Linux system has on your graphic controller, you can either have all or some of the resolution features of your system. Linux upgrades its hardware support database constantly. The generic open drivers that deploys with the more modern Linux systems offers above average support for graphic controllers. If you need to access all the features of your GPU, then it is best to install the proprietary drivers for your system. Should be able to find them on your system's support website. [/list] [/quote]
    Link to this post 15 Dec

Hugenoot said:

Hi

I am about to entirely replace OS X with Linux. I am pretty clued up as an experienced Linux user but far from being a true geek.

Mac: I like the hardware but not the OS. So I am not really interested in dual-booting at all.

Current MacbookPro (Mavericks) is a 2012 i5 2.5GHz with 4GB DDR and an aftermarket WD 1TB HDD and Mint 17.1 LiveSession runs rather well.

You have in your possession some nice hardware. You can run just about any Linux system on that.

Also considering a new MacbookPro 15" 2.2Ghz i7 Quad with 16GB DDR, IrisPro and a 256GB SSD.

Questions:
    1. Is there any reason NOT to replace the entire OS X?

I believe there are two reasons not to replace your current OS:
      1) the hardware does not support Linux
      2) you still want to use your current system's native apps

FOSS has thousands of software you can use in place of the apps you are using now. They won't work the same or implement the same features. Some are more stable than others. IF those native apps are of high importance, or you cannot find good open source replacements for them, do not wipe your current system

Another thing to keep in mind is the support level of linux on your current hardware. You may be able to use the Live-session of your preferred Linux OS, but it might not install correctly on your hardware. Dualbooting will ensure that if something goes wrong, you can always go back to what works. If everything works as planned, or works as satisfactory levels, then you can decide on when to completely let linux take over your system.

2. Will the Macbook allow replacing OS X?

First thing is to find out if that MacOSX hardware will allow another OS to be installed. The question is yes. You can install Linux on Mac-grade hardware.

3. How well does Linux (Mint) handle the Retina display? Will it at least do 1920x1080 resolution, or can Linux go higher?

Depending on the support your chosen Linux system has on your graphic controller, you can either have all or some of the resolution features of your system. Linux upgrades its hardware support database constantly. The generic open drivers that deploys with the more modern Linux systems offers above average support for graphic controllers. If you need to access all the features of your GPU, then it is best to install the proprietary drivers for your system. Should be able to find them on your system's support website.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: installing ovftool from vmware
    [quote="ladowny"]Is your /tmp or /var/tmp partition mounted noexec ? I was getting the same error before I remounted the partition execute mount command [code] # mount .... /dev/mapper/hostvg-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) .... [/code] if you see noexec attriibute next to your tmp partition you need to remount it executable [code] mount -o remount,exec /tmp [/code] This may not always work if you have something running on your system that keeps open files on the /tmp partition ( eg MySQL server often does that ), you can try to mount it exec on boot [code] # vi /etc/fstab [/code] remove noexec attibute in the line [code] /dev/mapper/hostvg-tmp /tmp ext3 defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec [/code] and reboot your system Note that mounting /tmp noexec is actually security related [/quote] This is an interesting case. Do you think that mounting a folder with [b]noexec[/b] prevents files from executing if they must be ran?
    Link to this post 14 Dec

ladowny said:

Is your /tmp or /var/tmp partition mounted noexec ?
    I was getting the same error before I remounted the partition

execute mount command

# mount
    /dev/mapper/hostvg-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

if you see noexec attriibute next to your tmp partition you need to remount it executable

mount -o remount,exec /tmp

This may not always work if you have something running on your system that keeps open files on the /tmp partition ( eg MySQL server often does that ), you can try to mount it exec on boot

# vi /etc/fstab

remove noexec attibute in the line

/dev/mapper/hostvg-tmp /tmp ext3 defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec

and reboot your system

Note that mounting /tmp noexec is actually security related

This is an interesting case. Do you think that mounting a folder with noexec prevents files from executing if they must be ran?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Just tried to install Ubuntu and now I'm livid.
    The file zone.tab was designed for offline installations. However, whatever changes were made to that file are now permanent. Even if you install ubuntu using internet services, the only option for Montreal time zone is [b]"Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - most locations[/b] If you specifically need Montreal time zone, you will have to contact the maintainer of the tzdata package and create a new argument.
    Link to this post 10 Dec

The file zone.tab was designed for offline installations.

However, whatever changes were made to that file are now permanent. Even if you install ubuntu using internet services, the only option for Montreal time zone is "Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - most locations

If you specifically need Montreal time zone, you will have to contact the maintainer of the tzdata package and create a new argument.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board